Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #1 
TharBePirates

Petco Fish

I went to Petco yesterday to get some stuff for the lads and of course I had to go look at all the bettas. Some of those males were really small I noticed, like, too young small, like, half the size of Jeffery small.

Are they shipping them out too young? There was one little guy who was absolutely preciously tiny, maybe an inch long if you didn't count his little HM tail. The King Betta next to him was eying him like a snack so I moved his cup over (though for the record, I so wanted to by the little guy, he was the equivalent of a baby bunny).
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #2 
metalbetta

I've noticed (mostly females) at petco are incredibly tiny. Didn't know it was a national thing. Although the betta cups at my petco are normally spotless! The worst I've seen there is a few tailbiters and one male with SBD. Poor guy. But other than that the fish always look healthy... outside of the fact that they don't even look like they should be out of the grow-out tanks yet.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #3 
TayHudson

I went in petco the other day to get a decoration for Simon's tank and I had to look through the betta's they had there. They had 2 "king bettas" that we're pretty, a beautiful DT that had see through fins and 1 poor HM that had terrible terrible fin rot.....I wanted to buy him so badly, but I really can't afford it. I wonder....would they give a discount for a fish with fin rot??? Lol. Probably not, those experienced sales people would say "he's supposed to look like that." I was heart broken to say the least. I still want to go back and get him if he's still there.......If only I had another tank :(
TayHudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #4 
TharBePirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayHudson View Post
I went in petco the other day to get a decoration for Simon's tank and I had to look through the betta's they had there. They had 2 "king bettas" that we're pretty, a beautiful DT that had see through fins and 1 poor HM that had terrible terrible fin rot.....I wanted to buy him so badly, but I really can't afford it. I wonder....would they give a discount for a fish with fin rot??? Lol. Probably not, those experienced sales people would say "he's supposed to look like that." I was heart broken to say the least. I still want to go back and get him if he's still there.......If only I had another tank :(
My Petco has very ill fish as well. Half of the time there are dead bettas just floating in the cups, or ones that are floating up at the top on their side gasping for air. On Monday they get new fish, and 90% of their Sunday fish are pitched (dead or not) once the new shipment comes in.
Their aquariums are no better. I was looking at some small driftwood at a reasonable price of $4 and some plants in the same tank, but when the sales person came over to see if I wanted something from the tank I told them no. They had a dozen mollies either floating dead in the tank or on the gravel upside down gasping in their. I told them I wouldn't want to put anything from an obviously sick tank into my tank. It's like, a no brainer.

They frustrate me to no end, but they do have a job opening for a sales associate. I might try to get a spot working in the fish section, because it doesn't take much work to remove dead fish from displays and steer people towards getting a 2.5 gal mini bow instead of a tiny #$% bowl.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #5 
Alex09

My petco had tiny bettas as well!
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #6 
TayHudson

I think Simon is pretty small to be honest. But I got him from PetSmart. Mainly because they didn't have any floaters and the cups they were in were really clean. It makes me depressed to see them like that. Like they don't matter as much as the other fish they sell. One of the more popular LFS' I got my other fish from DOES NOT take care of their Bettas at all and it really makes my blood boil.
TayHudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #7 
TharBePirates

I just told Roommate about the baby HM and she just asked me why the hell I didn't buy him lmao.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #8 
UrsMyrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TharBePirates View Post
I just told Roommate about the baby HM and she just asked me why the hell I didn't buy him lmao.

Do you have another cookie jar?
UrsMyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #9 
TharBePirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsMyrick View Post
Do you have another cookie jar?
That was her reasoning lol. "We have another cookie jar! You could have bought him a heater and brought him home and set him up with hand-me-downs!"

I suspect we may not stop at 2 bettas.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #10 
PhilipPhish

I got Tigger at petco. I'm pretty sure they get them when they are all ready to leave the place where they come from. I think Tigger is about maybe 10-20 months old. He's very tiny compared to the ones at my LFS.
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote