Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #1 
HestonFan23

Yicky Icky tank...How should I clean it??

I acquired a 10 gallon tank from my fiance. She used to keep turtles in it. The sides of the tank look like they have a weird mold or fungus on it. I can tell that this film starts where the water in the tank stops.

What is the best way to clean this??
HestonFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would do a diluted bleach cleaning and even set it up outside full to the top with the diluted bleach/water and do a 24h leak test...then rinse well...if it has lots of mineral deposits....once it is rinsed...use some vinegar and a razor blade if its glass to clean it off....rinse well...I would also let it sit in the sun for a day or so to be on the safe side since it had turtles in it.....

Be sure and add a little extra dechlorinator with the final fill...look forward to pics once you get it setup....what are your plans for the tank....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:16 AM   #3 
HestonFan23

I have not decided. I would like to introduce my betta Steve to a bigger environment with more fish. He seems to like his 2.5 gallon tank. The only problem is I have algae buildup and snails.
I am not sure what to do about either.

I am thinking about some tetras or something else that will not upset Steve. He seems pretty even tempered.
HestonFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote