Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #1 
Alilypetal

Kind of freaking out, need some advice

So I think I got a bit overly ambitious.
I've had a Betta since April in a 1.7 gallon tank and have been wanting to upgrade for a while. My mom found this awesome 5 gallon at a yard sale for 5 dollars and I was so excited!

THEN...
I started biting off more than I could chew I think.
I wanted to divide the five gallon but I didn't think it would be enough room for two fish. So then yesterday I spontaneously went out and bought a ten gallon because I saw this really good deal at Petsmart!
I set up my tank, made a divider and got a new Betta all in one day.

Now that I have both fish in this giant tank I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.
Also, these fish are REALLY smart and have managed to find this tiny gap in the divider and now I'm nervous that they're going to break through in the night.
Also, I think maybe that a ten gallon is a bit too much for me to handle, and that I should have stuck with my five gallon and 1.7 gallon.

My question now is should I keep the ten gallon and get a new divider?
Or switch them back to separate separate tanks?

Thank you so much!
Alilypetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #2 
thePWNISHER

2 Bettas can fit comfortably in a 5 gallon split. Think about it you had your first one in a 1.7gallon and a split 5 gallon would be 2.5, which is almost 40% larger. Do not feel overwhelmed, the larger the tank the less you have to water change and such and you do not need to do a 100% change as long as you vacuum the gravel once a week for mulm. I guess just make sure the divider is secure would be all you really need to worry about. Other than that make sure everything is cycling okay with the new tank and you should be okay.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:05 AM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Take a deep breath and relax. Your getting settled into betta keeping quite quickly and I know how overwhelming it is. Trust me I have two tanks of my own and waiting for the third to be deemed 'nessecery for use' incase of an 'impulse' betta buy. Your doing good so far me thinks. Keep the 1.7 and 5 gallon just incase if you want to divide up that one.

(Trust me once you've settled into this you'll find MTS /Multiple-Tank-Syndrome a hard thing to fight.)
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Yes, I have two bettas in a divided 5g as well and they have plenty of room. You can always keep the 10g for use later when you have had fish for a while longer and are more comfortable with taking care of them and their tanks. You'll do just fine, alilypetal. It's just a bit overwhelming at first, isn't it?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 PM   #5 
Alilypetal

Thank you all so much :)
I feel much better about it now. I'm not using the 10 gallon until I can get a proper divider for it so I won't be worrying. I was worried about moving my new boy to a 1.7 gallon after being in so much space but he seems to be doing great!
My betta that I got in April isan't loving his five gallon tank to himself as much as I thought he would.
Is it normal for bettas to chill out on the bottom of the tank when they're adjusting? He's normally so lively.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Did you just move him today or within the last few days? Then yes, he may still be adjusting to things. If he doesn't perk up in a few more days, post again and we can all put our heads together to see if something's wrong. But I bet he's just settling in so don't worry.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #7 
Alilypetal

I have another quick question...can live plants sometimes make the water cloudy?
I think my tank might be cycling (I still don't really completely understand the process yet since I fairly new at Bettas) and I've heard that cycling with Bettas in the tank can stress them out as well. But my older fish Lee is always active and now the water is cloudy and he's chilling at the bottom. I just changed the water yesterday; should I do a 50% water change today?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #8 
Sakura8

When in doubt, do a water change. Plants can sometimes cloud water. Did you just add them or put in anything new that wasn't there before? If Lee is still lethargic, put him in clean water in a small QT container.

Which tank is cycling? Most tanks under 2.5g don't really cycle as we know it. The whole cycling thing is a needlessly confusing process. Bottom line is cycling will happen whether you do anything or not because it's a natural process. What we aquarists refer to as "cycling" is us really trying to speed up the process by letting the ammonia build up more before changing the water or adding bacterial additives. Cycling with the betta in will only get stressful for him if you let the ammonia build up to make the cycle go faster.

Uhm, I'm just making a confusing topic more confusing. ^_^ I'm PM you something about cycling, 'kay?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #9 
Alilypetal

Wow! Thank you Sakura8 (love your username, btw) for that message on cycling! I think I understand it now for the most part.

And the tank that's giving me trouble is a 5 gallon tank. I put Lee in it yesterday and today he's just been chilling at the bottom of the tank, which he NEVER does. I bought the plants the day before yesterday and transferred them to the tank when I put him in. The problem is that my filter is too strong for him and he kept flaring at it and hiding when I turned it on so I have to get a new one. From my understanding of the cycling message you just sent me I'm thinking that the ammonia levels in his tank might be too high.
I'm going to do a 50% water change and if that doesn't do the trick take him out until the ammonia levels go down.

Thank you so much! My stress levels are much lower now :)
Old 06-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I'm glad. Fish are supposed to help us relax, not make us stress more. If you have any more questions, I'm happy to help.