Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #11 
Tisia

believe it's generally juvie boys that have it, but I know someone mentioned (maybe pew?) they had a fully grown boy with an egg spot still
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #12 
Noko

Well it (I'm just going to use the term it for now) is completely full grown. I'm looking up betta anatomy so I can be more specific so please excuse mistakes I might make in the next paragraph.

The pelvic fins are pretty short. But a slight bit longer than my females. And the flare isn't as large as the typical males. And the beard isn't visible. Also, I had it in with females for awhile and it was fine. Lastly, I never had this whole breeding stripe issue with any of the other females that have been in the same tank. I'm looking up how to determine the gender and it's like mine has things from both. But I am starting to see that it being male is very likely.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #13 
Noko

Sorry for the double post.

Okay so I'm just going to say 'she' is really a he now. I don't know what it is but everytime I look at him I notice that his fins are longer and longer.

One last thing. Is it safe to put a male and female in the same divided tank? I of course already have but I didn't know he was a he since he just came out of the sorority with some damaged fins, then I feel like by then he decided the other girls were his new BFFs. But now with this new betta they want to breed it seems like and I don't want little fishies swimming around if one of them happens to hop over to the other side.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #14 
Sakura8

You can but there are drawbacks. The girls can get very eggy and if they're desperate enough to spawn will jump the divider. One of mine did and now her tail is a mess. And she found out she wasn't ready for a serious relationship after all. But the other girl I replaced my jumper with is doing fine.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #15 
Abby

yes they can live side by side, it looks like a boy with the long fins.

show the fish in question a mirror if it flares and gets showy prob a man then ;)

i currently have a 6 bay divided up like this:

|2bayscharz|Ailie|Bronxie|2bays Marshal|

meaning one boy taking up two bays
then two girls one per bay then another boy taking up two bays
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote