Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #1 
laughing

Score!

I went to this guy for physical therapy for awhile and tended to talk about my fishy upgrades, to which he told me about his 10 gallon tank and how he planned on getting rid of it. No shame, I begged him for it. He finally got ahold of me (I don't see him anymore due to insurance) and I met up with him today and received it, for FREE!

It came with a siphon, under gravel air stone thingy, filter, heater, lighted hood, etc. The full set-up... Even a stand! Woot woot!

I also got his fish with them. I have identified the main 5 as 2 neon tetras and 3 black neon tetras, but there are 2 still unidentifyable...

One is an algae eater "sucker" fish. It is orange/pearly color, and has a slender, long body, and doesn't have a long tail, but it is clear and splits. I have no clue what it is, but once s/he calms down I will post pictures for maybe some of you experienced people to identify... Also, there is a see through fish! You can see its bones and everything, but I have no idea what that one is either.

I don't know if I am keeping these fish as my 10 gallon set-up has light gravel, in a light area of the house, and has high lighting for my live plants. I don't have a set-up for tetras... But they'll be fun for awhile!

The good news? I now have TWO 10 gallons and can split them to get males from Thailand! WHOOHOO!

Ok, just had to share in the excitement...
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #2 
Johnificent

you are so lucky! congrats on a free 10 gallon! :) I'd like to see pictures of the soon to be new fishys you're gonna get :D
Johnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #3 
laughing

The neons are so derpin' cute... It's going to be hard rehoming them, so I must just buy a plain 10 gallon with a glass lid, throw in some dark substrate, a black background, and some nice fake plants and keep them in my room where it is darker. It'd only take me about $30 I think! I'll have to scan prices of fake plants & substrate..

I just released the "sucker" fish... I feel bad for the fish! I opened the bag they were in and it just REEKED and was so hot. When he handed them over there was so much food in there. He told me before no one cares for them and he has to change their water whenever he gets the chance but he is so busy I don't blame him. I'm happy he gave them up to me, because even if I can't keep them, I will find them a good home that understands their needs.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #4 
laughing

It is an orange Dojo Loach, which completely explains why he (or she?) has made minimal appearance and has kept himself well hidden in the moss and behind the pot. Unfortunately, he will not due in my tank. For one, I have large pebble substrate, two I have live plants that are sensitive to up-rooting, and lastly a 10 gallon is just too small.

I am considering running my 20 gallon again, with the darker environment the tetras need, and the larger space the loach needs, so I can keep 'em! :D

I may make it into a small sorority, too. 5 girls, 5 tetras, and a baby dojo loach. When he gets bigger, I will upgrade again so he can live a long, happy life in someone's experienced care!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #5 
kathstew

The see-through fish is probably a glass fish (?).

Congrats on getting the free tank! That is so lucky!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #6 
laughing

I am very, very happy! I have grown so attached to the neons and the loach so I just have to set up a new tank for them...

BUT, I am very happy I will have 2 open 10 gallons for my incoming bettas! I have 3-4 coming in within the next few months, so finally I have a good set-up for all of them. :D

I am just assuming it is a glass fish, the poor thing is so skittish, I feel bad for it. ;(