Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #1 
bahamut285

Recommendation: Uninterruptable Power Supply

Hey guys, my brother recently bought a bunch of these Uninterruptable Power Supplies (UPSs) and I'd thought I'd share on the awesome.

They're basically fairly large batteries, but they also double as power bars too! They are a little chunky (maybe stacking 4 power bars together) but that's only because of the battery. The battery I've got apparently can last 30 minutes while using something big like a computer.

What I've done is after I've set all my stuff up, I've plugged the heaters into the battery section, so if my power goes out, my heaters will still be keeping my betta's nice and warm for a few hours until the power comes back on :D

I just thought I would mention this considering it's summer and storms will kick the power out and such.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hopefully your power will come back on after a few hours. Ours has been known to be off for 2 weeks.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #3 
RobertTheFish

Unplug your UPS sometime and let the heaters run until you drain the UPS. Then you'll know if you have enough juice/time. You may need to buy more and spread out your load.

Heaters usually draw a lot of power for what they do.
RobertTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #4 
Silverfang

interesting, that's a different use for a UPS. I've only heard of them being used for computers and servers.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #5 
Wyvern

Oh we use them a lot here. Since our power company loves to do load shedding. And some people sit with no power for 4 hours every second day. So UPS is an easy way to run small tanks and they use bigger special ones made for server rooms to run the big tanks.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #6 
bahamut285

@Robert: I was planning on doing that at some point but oh god I would NOT buy another one. I don't mind the price of it, but as small as it is, they weigh maybe about 20kg or so. I don't want to be lugging a bunch of them around if I have to move in the near future :P

@Silver: Yeah a lot of people use them for computers and servers. I plugged the other one we bought into our home server, and I have a laptop so I only plugged it into the surge protection area :P

@Wyvern: Oh dear that sounds more inconvenient for the public rather than a general annoyance, haha
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #7 
Wyvern

hehe @bahamut - its unfortunately part of our country, they just paid the owners of the electricity suppliers a 500% bonus, whilst hiking the prices of our power by 25%, and the best part is they still do load shedding-in the middle of winter where some places have very low temps below freezing!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote