Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #1 
newfiedragon

Question Clamped? Or just the way he sleeps?

I'm a little concerned about my new little guy, Uther. I got him yesterday and he was fine last night and this afternoon, ate some food today, but this evening when I got home from work he didn't seem to be moving much and was just staying at the top of the tank. He looked a little clamped, but I'm not sure. Maybe that's just the way he sleeps. I don't have much experience with HMs. I only have two, and the other one I only got last week.

He perked up and started swimming around a bit ago, but now he's back at the top of the tank again.

Here's some pics to show what he looks like. Can anyone tell for sure if it's sleeping or clamping?

Earlier this evening when I got home...

A little while ago...

newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #2 
Ashleigh

Is he like that when he's moving around or just when he's motionless/sleeping? I'm no expert but I'd say if he spreads his fins normally when he's moving he's fine. When my bettas are still their fins tend to be closer to the body and not as much spread.
Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #3 
newfiedragon

It's hard to say. It looked like held them out a bit more from his body when he was swimming, but then he would pull them back in close. It's his ventral fins that are making me wonder if it's clamping. He's had them tucked in tight almost all evening, only lowering them occasionally.

I'm wondering if he's a little spooked about suddenly having all the space in his new home. He was only kept in a small container at the lfs - one of those awful triple betta death boxes where each betta is in a small triangle of space - with a betta on each side! They were all flaring like crazy! I'm guessing that's why his fins are so raggedy. So he was probably stressed from that, and then he came home and found himself in a big tank all by himself with not much in it (I need to get him another plant and a hiding spot). Right now there's just one plant and a dinosaur - and LOTS of extra space.

Last edited by newfiedragon; 06-28-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #4 
Punki

My veiltail did that when i put him in a new tank for the first time, but he was almost lifeless the next morning, when he was fine when i went to bed, only fought when i netted him into a cup, took a few hours for him to be active again. Not sure exactly what happened but i changed the water 50% and let the filter run a few days then tried again and he was fine. Maybe hes just adapting still.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #5 
Ashleigh

I agree with Punki. Let him adjust to his new home and see how he is then. More hiding places would be a good idea.
Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #6 
newfiedragon

He's still the same this morning, just lying at the top of the water. I'm planning on picking up a new decoration this evening when I get off work. Sadly, all of my terra cotta pots are dirty, so I can't use one of those for a quick hiding spot.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #7 
Silverfang

if still missing a hiding spot, try a mug, you can use a bit of vinegar and LOTS of hot hot water to sanitize it for the new boy
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #8 
CyerRyn

You can try covering his tank for a couple days to keep it dark to try to make him comfy. He probably just needs time to adjust, my HMPK was like that for 2-3days after I got him.. then he perked up. Did you let him adjust to the water temp before putting him in? I wouldn't worry unless he's still like this or he gets worse over the next couple days.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #9 
newfiedragon

I'm still concerned about Uther. He's still looking clamped, though sometimes not so much. I bought him a hide (a little purple glass cup) and when I went to work this morning he seemed to be doing great! But when I came home for lunch and checked on him, he was inside the cup and seemed to be gasping!!! I did a water change yesterday, adding aquarium salt, and I've lowered the water in his tank to about half what it should be, but now I can't use the heater to warm the water cause there's not enough water in the tank (originally a 2.5g, so about 1-1.25g currently). I could take the Marina 10w compact heater I've got in with Newf and put it in his tank, but it would need to be put horizontal. Does anyone know if these heaters can be put that way, or do they stay upright?

Right now he's floating at the top of the water again, but he's not gasping anymore. He was swimming around for a bit and he did eat (quite happily, it looked like).

His fins are torn (I'm hoping he doesn't have fin rot), so I was gonna add some Bettafix (supposed to be useless, I know...but it's all I've got). Is that medication okay to add to water with aquarium salt in it? It doesn't say anything about that on the bottle.