Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #11 
JennH

Good to know =) Thanks! Like I say, I've had luck with all my Betta's thus far - they've always died of old age except one that I had that in the store already had a scale disease, so I bought him just to give him a better home in his last days than to die in a cup!
JennH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #12 
gbose

JennH,

I'm thrilled that you're looking at a real tank for your bettas. Those little 1-liter things are sad -- kind of like spending your life locked up in a closet...

Please do get a (small) filter -- bettas apparently don't like fast-flowing water, and a small heater to keep them warm.

And do post pictures!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #13 
Sakura8

That's great, I'm glad they all had good long lives with you. If you ever have questions, PM me or post.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #14 
thePWNISHER

My last house was a 525 sq ft. 2bedroom home. I felt like a Betta in those stores. No closets, tiny windows and lots of wall space. It was an old WW2 military housing that the university had renovated back in the 50s for student family housing. They were terrible old and smelled bad. So when I was looking to get a Betta I just browsed online found the forum got more info so when I get my first Betta when I move again end of summer I'll make a good home for one. I got a 10Gallon because I know I want my house to be at least like 7 bedrooms or something someday. Maybe someone will clean it for me like my Betta's home will be cleaned for him. He'll be spoiled alright.

Still I think its great that you take the time to take care of yours JennH. I mean even if the conditions are small as long as they have interaction and someoen who keeps up on the maintenance so they live a long while is all they could ask for.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #15 
Sakura8

Sounds like some of the old houses at the Presidio in San Francisco. Or my brother's apartment in NYC. :/ And yeah, I totally want someone to clean my house for me, too.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #16 
JennH

gbose: Thanks so much for your reply!! I used to have a big 10gallon aquarium when I had one Betta - then I swithed to oddly named goldfish and now I'm back to Betta's ... but because I have two, I went with the AquaBoxes instead - but skaura8 has pointed me into a good direction for neat looking tanks that are bigger then what I have and what Andrew has - so I'm hoping to pick up two for me and one for him - our fish deserve better/bigger homes! I hate seeing them in small spaces without a doubt!! I've always had somewhat large tanks for them - at one point I had 3 Betta's at once and they were in these neat plastic Betta tanks - they were decently sized but no filter. Both Andrew and I would like to have a filter, that's for sure.

skaura8: I will for sure be in touch if I or Andrew come up with any other questions over time. Thanks so much for being willing to answer anything that we may come up with!

thePWNISHER: I know what you mean about small spaces... I am pretty much cooped up in my room at home in Calgary and then when I come to my brothers home in Edmonton, he just lives in a 1 bedroom apartment on the 3rd floor! The living room at his place at least has a big patio door and stuff - so that helps, but it's still a really small space... especially when you have 2 adults and one 2.5yr old Boarder Collie/German Shepherd in the place, haha. But we manage!

I love my boys, Samuel and Tyler more than anything! I had Samuel first then I decided I wanted to have another one so I went back out and got Tyler. I'd love to own more - they are awesome! And like I have said previously, Samuel is very attentive to me and I spend lots of time with them. They sit on the 2nd shelf of my desk in my room - so I see them every morning and every night for sure and then any time I am sitting at my desk or laying in my bed =) They are spoiled too.

Actually, that brings me to another question... they used to have silk plants in their homes but I had to get rid of them because they eventually got to a point where I couldn't clean them or get the smell out of them.... what are opinions on real plants for them? Just curious - have always wondered if silk or real would be better for them. Ideas?

-JH
Old 06-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Real plants are great because they help keep the water clean but there are a few drawbacks like if you have to do medicating or aquarium salt treatments, you'll have to do it in a QT container because those substances can kill your plants. Lighting is another problem for some people too. Java Fern, Amazon Sword, Anubias, Hairgrass, Java Moss, and Pygmy Chain Sword are all good plants for the basic lighting most tanks have. You can fertilize them too so they'll grow better with a product like Seachem Flourish.

Oh, and did I mention Samuel and Tyler will LOVE plants?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #18 
JennH

Thanks Sakura8! I'll indeed look into some plants next time I'm at the pet store =) I know they loved their silk plants but I'd like to give real plants a try, I think that'd look really good. And I'm always wanting to make my boys happy =)
Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #19 
Sakura8

They'll love silk too if you don't want to bother keeping live ones alive. The real benefit of the live ones is that they help clear the ammonia in the water. But I know Samuel and Tyler will love you for whatever kind of plant you get them.