Fabio has been in a hospital tank for about a week. Getting daily/everyotherday water changes. We had his tank a warm 80 degrees and were treating him with aquarium salt because we saw a few white specks on him. He seemed to be getting better, so the last two days, he has only gotten a single water change, and half the amount of aquarium salt.
We were about to move him into a brand new, fully planted 5 gallon tank.. that is until he started acting sluggish, and clamping his fins. I figured it was just the stress before the move, and I figured he was cold (He hadn't had his lid on or his light on for an hour.) I promptly put him, open lid, under the desk lamp, and proceeded to set up his tank. Minutes away from transferring him, I saw a horrible thing... with the unmuted lighting I saw... white specs dusting him from head to tail.... We were heartbroken.
Please, this seems like a rather semi-advanced/advanced case of ich, and caught us totally off guard. The past 3 or 4 days he has been active, and eating like an absolute pig.
We are running to walmart now to get him some medication, because we figure we have to nip this in the bud NOW.
I'm sorry to hear Fabio isn't doing well :(
You have two options, salt OR medication.
For salt: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days.
Ick is temperature sensitive so if you increase the temp to 85*F that will quicken up their life cycle.
If you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus. Do a 100% water change every day to remove fallen parasites. Raise the temp to 85*F if possible.
Treat him in the QT, not the tank. You don't want to introduce parasites into his new tank...
We got Jungle's Ich Guard Liquid. They did not have any of the other ones.
I am thinking of throwing out the gravel in Fabio's QT and just leaving it barren. Is that cruel to him? Or will that help clear the Ich faster?
Nope, nothing that has even touched fabio has touched and the new tank. Thank you my friend. I put like two drops in Fabio's QT, its blue.. lol. Its dosage is 5ml to 10 gals, so i did 2 drops which is about a third of a 1/4 of a tsp.
Really? Bleach? I always just use super hot water, that way I risk nothing in contaminating the boys with chemicals; but then again, because I am not using bleach, I might be contaminating them with Ich...
The QT is a 1/2 gallon. Fabio looks really down, he went from being happy and swimming around earlier today, to being clamped and hardly moving....
...He is not covered, but he is pretty well dusted, such as a light speckling from head to tail. Do you guys think he'll pull through? Be honest.
Well, it's hard to say with ick. It goes through cycles. When the parasites are attached to him he's going to feel like crap, but when they fall off due to their lifecycle/medication he will feel better. The important thing is that you continue treatment even when you don't see any parasite since there will still be eggs/larva. There could be a second wave of attached parasite in a few days. If you can, give him some Stress Coat, IAL or Kordon's Fish Protector so he feels more comfortable.
If there is any way for you to increase the temp to 85*F that would speed up the process.
Hot water doesn't kill ick, bleach is guaranteed to do so either but it's still better...
So Fabio is still eating like a pig, swimming, and being his adorable self. Did his first water change today, and replaced the two drops of Ich Medication. We can already notice less dots on his flesh. This is very relieving.
Just posting to keep you guys up to date.
A Quick question though, How long should I keep this treatment up, I was thinking around a week. But I want to make sure that his infection is gone and his immune system is built back up so that if another ich bloom happens, he can fight it off. So I do not know if a week will be enough..
I read something online saying something about treating the infection for 14 days..?
I'm so sorry to hear Fabio has ick. I really hope he pulls through for you. Just want to reiterate that's it important to keep the water clean and frequently changed so you get all the little parasites out of the water. Hang in there, Fabio!