Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #21 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
I wish more people were aware of research for all animals before taking them home. The only way to stop these improper sales for animals is to have people not give into corporate advertising. its not like they care if the animal lives...people will just buy a new one.

What is LPS/LPF?
LPS Local Pet Store... LFS Local Fish Store :)

With animal rescue, we say Stop the Demand, End the Supply. The less you buy, the less they will sell.

I usually buy from feed shops, pet supply stores, wal mart or buy online. I rarely support pet stores until I got fish. But thankfully I don't have the go back unless I need something a live, sadly.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #22 
Kestral

It's sad that many people take advantage of Betta's ability to live in small spaces.
Why can't a Betta at least each have a half-gallon tank at the petstore? Each of my bettas have 1/2 gallon tanks, but that is because I am working on saving up enough money to buy them each 2.5 ones.
Honestly, all the other fish get larger spaces.
Kestral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #23 
fightergirl2710

I agree, why keep the pet if you are not willing to keep it comfortably, its like having it as decor or something! Good judgement tells us nothing can be happy in something so small :(
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #24 
laughing

Rarely anyone bothers to jump on Google and find reputable information on what they want to buy. I want Sugar Gliders, and unfortunately, people impulse buy on them because "they're cute". Little do they know they need at least a 2x2 base and at least 4 ft high of a cage, and need at least to be in pairs, need specific food & balanced diet or they will get CRIPPLED. If they are next to a space heater, they will die. If they do not drink enough water (and it can be hard to get them to drink) they will die. Letting them loose in the house many people have dead Gliders because they get caught in the toilet. (They have claws and can't climb out the porcelian and cannot swim.) Sadly enough, too many Glider owners do not know this and end up with dead Gliders all the time or those extremely crippled/sick. It is not from them purposely abusing, but from ignorance!

Another good example, horses. My school boards our horses at this really crappy barn. None of the horses get pasture turn-out. None. My school doesn't check the horse's regularly (I find severe cuts on my horse's hocks with dried blood and fresh blood that must've been days old that no one else even noticed!) and don't feed well. They only get fed once or twice a day, and in between never have access to any food. They do not get any supplements and are grossly over-fed on grain. To me, this is ABUSE.

Or consider dogs... People think, "Oh this dog is cute!" and buy it without knowing anything about the breed. I love when people purchase Labrador Retrievers and are confused as to why their dog is "so hyper". Um, that's exactly what the breed is bred for? Or they buy Daschunds and are devastated when they need back surgery. Or when people get a "lazy Basset Hound" and don't get why it is depressed, destructive, and noisy because they don't think they need walks. People wonder why their American Pit Bull Terrier adores people but doesn't like other dogs. Or those that are confused as to why their Doberamn/German Shepherd/Rottweiler/etc doesn't protect their home or doesn't even demonstrate viciousness.

This happens ALL the time for all animals. Gerbils, rabbits, birds, cats, dogs, horses, sugar gliders, turtles, reptiles, aquatic animals, etc. Until people take it into THEIR hands to actually pick up a freakin' book or Google search something before impulse buying this will never stop.

I especially feel bad for fish, like all of you. It is disgusting the things people feel are okay to do to them because they are "just fish". My mom thought I was stupid for wanting fish as a pet. Now she is madly in love with my bettas. Just recently I got a bunch of free fish who are temporarily in a 10 gallon and when she looks at them she gets excited. She gushes to me about how cute they are, how they are so fun to watch, and just cannot stop saying good things about them. Every one of my fish have their own personalities. They are SMART and know patterns and recognize me. They have feelings.

Those homes are just terrible.. Go to WalMart you can buy 1 gallons with light and filter for like $12. You can buy a 3 gallon vase/cookie jar for $14 or less... You can buy rubbermaid completely clear containers with a lid for dirt cheap. It just doesn't add up to me.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #25 
Pitluvs

*bows down to 'laughing'*

You are so freaking 100% right!!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #26 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

*IT'S JESUS!* That is PERFECT, Laughing! it happens WAY to much and I HATE it. Yes, I have rats, but they are in a 4 square foot cage, YES i have a sugar glider, and she gets all of the necessary nutrients she needs, even though we have to mail order nutrients for her food and water, and she has a VERY large cage by herself until we get her a friend. (We wanted her to bond with humans for about a couple months instead of another sugar glider right away) I can't BELIEVE how ignorant some people are these days, they aren't just toys or pretty things to look at, They are LIVING THINGS and deserve the same respect that we give to other humans! UGH
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #27 
Sivan

Laughing, that is the most perfect post ever. The only thing I can ad is that while most other species (except Sugar Gliders, to my knowledge) have spokespeople who raise awareness, such as pit bull groups or Animal Planet's Dogs/Cats101 that educates people on breeds and family compatibility, fish are often without a voice. Betta fish, particularly, do not have a proper representation in mass society like other creatures do. Instead, people are informed by products. Products exist to make a company money, a company that couldn't care less if the fish lives or dies. AquaBlocks are a prime example of this attitude.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #28 
Pitluvs

I payed $400 for my rat cage, a double Ferret Nation. The people at the store couldn't believe I would spend so much on 'food' for a cage. I was never so livid.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #29 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

We payed about $300 for all of the stuff. It was the biggest cage there. but unfortunately the wires are kind of thin, but it works. We plan on possibly buying a new cage when we get some extra cash ;)
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #30 
laughing

@Sivan- That is exactly my point.

There is no awareness for aquatic creatures. It is insane how people just ignore them because they are "just fish". Or other "plain" animals. People keep frogs in 4 inch long containers... They keep tarantulas in these tiny kritter keepers. People buy bearded dragons because they're small and cute and have no idea how big they'll get and need a LARGE glass enclosure.

The reason why I brought up so many other points is because there isn't really information anywhere. Like with the horses, to the average person their conditions are wonderful. They have nice stalls, shade, coverage out of bad weather, hay daily, full tubs of water, people to care for them, etc. BUT, me being a horse-fanatic with serious knowledge I feel the fact they are never on pasture, do not get something to eat constantly (which is the proper way for them to eat for their digestive systems), never are socialized with other horses, and are allowed that much water at all times especially after working for an hour straight just appauls me!

There are many, many, many, MANY forums, groups, clubs, tv shows, internet links, books, guides, anything you can think of for dogs. Yet I dare you to go into the dog section on Yahoo! Answers and see what people ask. They don't know why their dogs have half the characteristics they do... I have been talking to a Siberian Husky owner who doesn't understand why their dog doesn't like water and doesn't come when called. Umm... it's part of the breed? They have NO clue how to potty train their dogs, what the basic signs of a dog bloating is, feel their dog is "aggressive", aren't willing to go to the vet because they HAVE access to online sources and can "figure it out themselves", you name it. The fact they have access to such flimsy sources is actually going against us...

I feel there should be a law where you're allowed to knock someone over the head with a frying pan if they ask idiotic questions about their already obtained animals that they didn't both to research.

What's so funny is that for animals with so much information available they get the worse treatment because everything is so contradictory that people take it upon themselves to just forget about researching and do what they want because they feel like it. Too little information (such as bettas) means bad news for them because there is NO awareness and people go to the pet store having faith that someone working at a pet store would know about pets when really they are hiring anybody that walks through the door. The average person goes in, checks their pamphlets, talks to several employees, and has faith in these people that they are giving them accurate information. This is one of the few sites that actually gives light to bettas and proper care!

Honestly, no matter what, it wil be a lose-lose situation however you put it. It is up to the people buying their pets that should be doing dedicated research to find out what is factual and what is plain BS to give these living creatures the proper care and happy lives.

Last edited by laughing; 06-29-2011 at 08:25 PM.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote