Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 01:11 AM   #1 
Ianthe

Princess seems depressed...

I have had bettas for almost 10 years now, and have never seen anything like this...

We bought my daughter's betta (although she is 4, so really MY betta), about 5 or 6 weeks ago, he is a male veiltail (yes...his name is Princess...LOL) Anyway, he has done really great so far, he is a beautiful pink and purple color and has been very interactive and frisky. When we got him, his fins were a bit clamped and curled, and he was not as colorful, but all of that has gotten much better. He is a great eater,and I have seen no issues with him until now.

A few weeks ago, he had a "neighbor"...we rescued another, barely alive betta (Bait) and had him (temporarily) in a bowl next to Princess. I tried everything, but Bait just didn't make it. :( While the two fish were next to each other, Princess seemed THRILLED. He was alert, exploring, making bubble nests, occasionally flaring, but not very often. Since bait has been gone, Princess seems very....depressed...for lack of a better word. He kind if mopes around his tank, his fins are a bit clamped, he lays on the bottom a lot. He is still eating,but that is the only time he seems happy.

So my question is, is he just lonely/depressed/bored? He is in a filtered, heated 2 gallon tank, eating a variety of Omega One pellets/Hikari pellets/and freeze dried blood worms.

What do you think? Is he missing his buddy?

We are planning to get another betta this week, hopefully tomorrow, do you think there is a chance this will help? What should we do?
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Yes, definitely, he could be depressed. Even though bettas are loners, they do still get attached to familiar faces, even betta faces. Princess was probably thrilled he had someone to show off to (and prove how manly he was despite his name ). If everything with his tank checks out (ammonia, temperature etc) and he is not bloated or experiencing swim issues, then he could very well be lonely. The only way to know for sure is to get him his new buddy soon. If he perks up after that, then we have pretty concrete proof (at least to those willing to believe) that bettas do get lonely.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #3 
Luimeril

my current oldest betta, Cup, had a crush on a female neighbor. well, Freya died last October, and Cup's been mourning her loss ever since. he refused to flare or flirt at any other female ever since.

try getting a mirror for Princess(my niece had a male betta named Flower. :d don't you love the ways kids name their pets?). that'll give him someone to flare at, and you can take it away after a while. let him flare at his reflection for a few minutes, a few times a day, and he should perk up alot. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #4 
DarkMoon17

Bettas most definitely get lonely. Once a betta has had a neighbor, the chances are that it will become lonely without one. I've had males go off food entirely when I moved their tank away from the others or if their neighbor passed away. Bettas also form relationships with other bettas. My oldest boys Apoc and Red were inseparable, they could even be housed in a 10gal without a divider (don't try that). I had to get Apoc a new neighbor after Red passed away since he refused to eat and just sat there. He's happier now that he has 7 neighbors and a sorority in view :)

You can either get him a neighbor or you can try getting him a mirror like Luimeril suggested. I think Petsmart sells floating mirrors? Sorry about Bait and I hope Princess feels better soon!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #5 
Kestral

I used to have two male Bettas, Sparkles (XD I was little!) and Fire. I put them next to each other, and they were healthy. Then, Sparkles died and Fire got very sad. :(
I think he got better though... I mean, that was quite a few years ago!
Kestral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #6 
Ianthe

Well, Princess got a new neighbor today, "Cinderella", lol, and it has only been a few hours and he is already back to his old self! Swimming around, exploring, flaring occasionally, eating like a pig! :)
Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #7 
Sakura8

I'd normally assume Cinderella was a girl but in this case, I have to ask, is she? I'm so glad you and your daughter found a friend for Princess and that he perked up. He must have gotten lonely without someone to show off to.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:50 AM   #8 
Ianthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'd normally assume Cinderella was a girl but in this case, I have to ask, is she? I'm so glad you and your daughter found a friend for Princess and that he perked up. He must have gotten lonely without someone to show off to.
LOL, no, he is a "he". I posted a little about him on the main forum :)
Old 07-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #9 
Sakura8

I'm there.