Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #1 
nacho

Swim Bladder Disorder - 5th day and he is still suffering

Hello betta lovers,

My dude Darcy has been dealing with swim bladder disorder since Monday 6/20. I followed the advice on this site and others and started him on the frozen pea treatment to treat constipation.

On Tuesday I bought some frozen peas and gave him a few pieces of softened pea. I waited for two days to see if he passed any poo, but it still seemed like his stomach was full. He didn't seem any better.

All this week I haven't fed betta anything except for a few pieces of pea on Tuesday and a few pieces today, Saturday 6/25. I am getting worried because it's taking a long time for him to get better. I am also worried that the problem might be an infection of the swim bladder rather than constipation.

What should I do to help him? The most recent thing I've done is feed him a few tiny bits of pea. He gladly ate those. Is it just a waiting game now?

Thanks so much,

nacho

Edit: I suppose I should fill this out too.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80-82 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Sponge
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Atison's Betta Pro
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 2 pellets at a time

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A slight loss of color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lying on the gravel, having trouble getting to the top
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Monday 6/20
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, with frozen pea treatment
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for over a year

Last edited by nacho; 06-25-2011 at 03:47 PM.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic.....

Since he is having buoyancy issues along with not pooping, lethargic...I would QT him in a small bare bottom container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range and start Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days

Pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water...Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal (not aquarium salt) tannins from either IAL or dried Oak leaf...shake well before use and use this pre-mixed treatment water for the 100% daily water changes in the small QT container.....also, cover the top of the QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ

Be sure and attach the QT to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter.

Nutrition-live food is best...like mosquito larva if you have access to them...if not...frozen and if no frozen...a good quality pellet...feed small frequent meals of a varied diet is best.....

Good luck and keep us posted.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-25-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #3 
nacho

Thanks OFL, I'll do what I can.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #4 
nacho

My fish has not recovered - he seems to be getting worse. In the first picture, with that angle, I think I see a hint of dropsy. I hope that it's not.

OFL, I don't have access to tannins, but I have tried the epsom salt treatment. I had him in a bare-bottom container clipped to the side of the aquarium and covered with the hood for a night. He did not pass any poop, although I highly doubt there's anything in his body to let out. He's still bloated as you can see in the second picture, and it's the biggest I've seen his belly be so far. Can we rule out constipation as the cause? Why is he so swollen in the belly?
Old 07-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Is he refusing all food? have you tried any live foods, how many days did you have him in Qt with the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal making the 100% water changes...like with any treatment it takes time for it to work-if you started the treatment on 6/25 that would only be 5-6 days in treatment.......he needs to stay in the Epsom salt for at least 10-14 days...did you also cover the top of the QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ

With buoyancy issue-it can be several things and constipation is but one-it can also be related to the swim bladder, the duct between the swim bladder and intestines and labyrinth organ.....

You also need to take into account his age....if you have had him for over 1 year and got him at a pet shop....he was most likely at/over 8mo of age...making him nearly 2 years old.....some of the issue may be age related since this is not a long lived species to start-on average 2-3 years...rarely 4-5 years......
Old 07-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #6 
nacho

I live in a very small town, which luckily has a Wal-mart where I bought the Epsom salt. Two days ago, I gave him one pellet and he ate it. I believe he still has an appetite, but I am afraid to give him anything if it's only going to make the swelling worse.

Last night I did the Epsom salt bath for about 15 hours and thought I would give him a break. I plan on putting him back in the bath again - I read some conflicting things about leaving the fish in the bath for too long, which is why I let him out after 15 hours. But if this is something I can do for days at a time, then I will put him in the bath now.

So I just started him on the Epsom salt treatment last night, 6/30.

I didn't cover the container with the plastic because I felt it would be too suffocating for him, but I suppose adding holes in it will make it alright. I made sure to cover him with the hood so the water would not be exposed to the air.

I think may be two years old or even older. But since I've only had him for a year, I feel like it's something I've done or not done that made him sick. I just hope he feels better soon.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

The treatment I gave you was a treatment not a bath...to do a bath or short term dip you have to use high doses (1/2cup/gallon-dip 5-15 min or until they roll over) and it can be dangerous and should only be used as a last resort and I DO NOT recommend dips for this reason......this treatment the fish stays in the QT for 10-14 days in the Epsom salt and tannins along with 100% daily water changes with the salt water...this is why I also recommend to pre-mix the treatment water to make water changes and correct dosage easier...sorry for the confusion......

Feed him if he wants to eat...small amount 3-4 times a day...without nutrition the body will shut down......
Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #8 
nacho

Thank you. I'm preparing another treatment container for him and I left one pellet in the water for him to eat. I think he's mustering his energy to swim up to where the pellet is. I'll let you know how treatment goes.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #9 
nacho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJh2LCvkXTo

This is a video of him. I think he's dying. I'm putting all my hope into the salt working.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #10 
nacho

He passed away. Confirmed Friday, June 1st 10:40 PM. RIP Darcy. I love you.