Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 AM   #101 
Abby

Pros and cons to this issue.
take any animal only a few days old and hand rear it you will become mother, father, family
hand rear anything and it thinks its human.
yes he may still be shy but i doubt it. if you look at him as a wild mouse i see possible dieases? being from wild stock.
if you keep him id suggest a vet and vacc of some sort

mice are easy to keep and very friendly ive raised many *of course with mommah mouses help*
but ive experience with hand raising possums and wallabies:
from this size (54grams)

to this:

those are not my images just an example i have no copies of our raised babies.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #102 
masshiimarro

oh 20 gal! drools..
i find that with his species of mice (a house mouse), hes much smaller than the fancy mice that petstores sell. so... those mice cages with bars.... not a good idea. most likely he will either a: chew a hole and escape, or b: squeeze through and escape. either way, hes probably gonna escape lol, and become cat treat. oh, and they are crazy jumpers too. so the deeper the better. will need to find a DURABLE screen lid for him too.. driftwood or some branches of some sort for him to climb.. lol in a way its like shopping for betta supplies all over again!
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #103 
Abby

NB: i custom made my cages and my last 3 rats lived in old fish tanks. easy to clean
catch and box/contain animal
take out items sweep out/up and bag dirty bedding clear clean bedding out hose dry replace all bedding and items
Old 07-03-2011, 04:16 AM   #104 
masshiimarro

dang... is that..... a wallaby?! lol it looks pretty..... freaky but in an awesome way. XD sorry, that pic just makes me think its going to after you..

did you release your hand raised babies back into the wild? i would try to find a vet, but so far i havent seen any small animal hospitals around, and the one that i do know of, i really dont want to go. they dont have a good rep, and last time i went for my bird, they were going to put it down if her leg didnt heal right. D:<
Old 07-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #105 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by masshiimarro View Post
oh 20 gal! drools..
i find that with his species of mice (a house mouse), hes much smaller than the fancy mice that petstores sell. so... those mice cages with bars.... not a good idea. most likely he will either a: chew a hole and escape, or b: squeeze through and escape. either way, hes probably gonna escape lol, and become cat treat. oh, and they are crazy jumpers too. so the deeper the better. will need to find a DURABLE screen lid for him too.. driftwood or some branches of some sort for him to climb.. lol in a way its like shopping for betta supplies all over again!
He DOES sound like a furry betta, doesn't he? You can also look into reptile cages or the kind of screen lids that go on reptile/turtle tanks. If you know someone handy with a drill and saw, you can get a sheet of plexiglass at a Home Depot and drill countless airholes in it and use that as a lid. A thick enough sheet of plastic and the little fellow AND the cats shouldn't be able to move it. Might need to provide ventilation, though, in case it gets humid in there.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:20 AM   #106 
Abby

no thats a mountian brush tail possum aka the bobuck.
this is a joey and adult wallaby:

yes my mum was a wildlife career we raised then mobed then released.
raise them, mob them with others incare round the same age and released as a mob

the possums same thing
Old 07-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #107 
masshiimarro

oh okay, i dont know my wildlife species..
wow aside from naked human babies.. i dont think ive ever seen a bigger naked baby like the wallaby joey. or wait, maybe its even bigger than a human baby..

mob releasing.. i can imagine what that looks like. you must feel really accomplished once you see them all run out into the wild :D
Old 07-03-2011, 04:47 AM   #108 
Abby

run no hop yes leap and bound too ;)

the other thing is if you hand raise something its always going to come back >.<

we raised a bobuck possum (like the possum pic) from just under the normal cut off weight (if lower then cut off they are put down because not viable, but he was our first and my mum was determined) and Chance was 3 kilos when we released him
he was too humanised and if someone left a window open in the summer heat he would help himself and join mum and dad in bed and lay there licking dads cheek till dad woke up and took him out side and gave him a bit of bread then found open window and closed it before going back to bed lol
but he bit through the power cable to the house and electrocuted his self and had to be put down.

the wallys and possum bubs need 2 hrly feeds i use to do them with mum when they hit 4 hrly she would go bed early and id stay up to do the 10pm and 2 am feeds shed do the 6am onwards. trust me going out in the middle of winter to the wally enclosure was horrid but cuddling up in the pen with three - 5 warm hungry babies was fun, juggling the bottles hard but worth it :)
Old 07-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #109 
Waterbottle2

bless you for taking care of him! i dont think id be able to give him up LOL
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #110 
masshiimarro

does anyone know we would go about teaching him to drink from those water bottles with a ball at the tip? if he had his mom, i know he would learn from her..