Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #21 
xMandy

I've had to rotate and handfeed chinchillas for 8 weeks. I've also had Gerbils born..so I know a thing or two about handfeeding - lol.
It'd be good for you to get a glass dropper. You don't need to stick it in its mouth. Just drop a drop on it's bottom lip and it should suck it in. I used a mix of goats milk and water (baby rice cereal too.. But leave that out for a mouse) for my chin kits. You could use kitten milk too. You need to make it use the restroom. They can not do this on their own. Take a q tip and wet it, then rub going from top to anus (toward the tail) you should have something.
You can probably see a small white band on it's stomach if it's full. (I know this wasn't always possible on the gerbils)
Make sure you keep it warm also.
Can you please get a picture? It'd help to determine it's age.
Also see if you can find a wildlife group or vet willing to take it in if you can't. You'll need to feed every 2-3 hours through out the night too-gerbil babies wean at 4 weeks off milk then hard food the rest of the way.
With gerbils their eyes don't open until day 17 or so. Does It have ear flaps yet?
To be honest - it may not make it. They're very sensitive at this age. You have to be sure you don't get milk down the nose or it will get upper repriatory problems.
I'll look a little bit more on mice, but for the most part I hope this helps.

Last edited by xMandy; 06-29-2011 at 06:44 PM.
xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #22 
Sakura8

Woohoo, an expert! This is good, now we all wanna se the little fella make it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #23 
xMandy

Lol, let's hope it does. Btw OP you can look at it's stomach and see if you see nipples. If it doesn't have much hair and is around 11 days you may see nipples - if so it's a girl. If not it's a boy. Again.. Won't know until day 11. Once the hair starts growing in you will see it growing around them.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #24 
Sakura8

He has a much better chance of survival now with your help, xMandy. I think we're all getting kind of attached to him. I know I am and I've never even seen the little thing.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #25 
xMandy

They are so easy to get hooked to. I had countless nights of no sleep and I was going nuts handfeeding kits. On the 5th week the mother jumped on the female and she passed as we were going to the vet. It is really hard if they do go but you have to remember things happen and it's not always your fault-OP is doing the right thing by trying to handfeed and I hope this little one pulls through.
Make sure to wash your hands before and after touching it. Don't get a female to 'help' she may kill it.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #26 
masshiimarro

yeah.. ive got the kitten milk, syringe, warmth, and the qtips.. ive been doing all youve stated,... but its not working. all he wants to do is sleep DX! maybe the mom put it outside on purpose.. he refuses to eat, and the formula is warm too. since hes eating very little, i dont see the formula in his stomach. ive called the wildlife rescue and theyr like, ooh they are very hard to care for at this age (like i didnt know, thats why i called ), and basically said goodluck. they did refer me to a hospital, but i went there once for my cockatiel and didnt have a good impression of the place. they wanted to euthanize my cockatiel if her leg seemed like it wasnt going to heal right!
sigh.. in actuality ive raised a baby mouse successfully before, but that one was a bit older at the time...
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #27 
xMandy

It may be getting enough milk. Like I said.. My gerbil pups didn't seem to have the milk band. It is going to sleep - a lot. It's use to sitting under mom and sleeping.. Only awake to eat. Don't worry.
When it sleeps you should see it twitching around. It's arm may move..anything. Do you see it twitch in it's sleep?
You can put it to your ear and see if you can hear a clicking. You may be right.. It may be sick and mom knew, but if it was sick the mom would have killed and eaten it.
The mothe may have been moving her pups and when she saw you guys she dropped it and ran.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #28 
masshiimarro

ah... maybe.. yeah he twitches like crazy when he sleeps. and he clicks sometimes.. i believe twitching is normal for their muscle tone, since thats what i learned about my kittens are when they are young..
honestly id say hes probably around 6-7 days old..
Old 06-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #29 
masshiimarro

okay so maybe he is getting enough milk... but that doesnt explain how he hasnt really peed/pooped.. and i have been rubbing him everytime i finish feeding him.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #30 
xMandy

Clicking is normally URI. Milk could be going down the wrong way. Just make sure it's not a lot.
It may be nasty..but I've had to test pups by just rubbing with my finger. Give it a while and try. It may not poop a lot but you should see the pee cone out if you use your finger. It's hard to see with q tips.
You've raised kittens? We use to take care of litter after litter a few years ago! They can get challenging..