Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #1 
Super Fish

What would the fins look like if...

This is (for the moment) a hypothetical question. I'm lightly considering breeding. Neither of the fish I am consdiering are really breeding quality but the spawn would not be for sale - I'd give a few of them away and keep one or two for myself. The rest would be culled.

I was wondering what the fins would likely look like if I crossed the following two fish:

The male (first picture is closest to his true colouring)-

and the female (i'm pretty sure she is a veiltail but if somebody could clarify that would be wonderful)-

What would the resulting fins be most likely to look like? I know fins are a tricky thing. I love the blue and black of the female tail and would ideally like to breed for that.

I am also open to getting another male. What do you think would make a good cross with that female?

Thank you!
Super Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #2 
Luimeril

they'd look like ratty veils. it's not suggested you breed anything but crowntails to crowntails, and nothing but veils to veils. Xd
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #3 
ChelseaK

Yeah, from what I read crossing crowntails can be really really tricky and they don't produce very good fins. The colors are gorgeous though!
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

You'd have veils with spikey finnage- but you'd also have gorgeous coloring!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #5 
Super Fish

Spikey veils eh? Does anybody know of any pictures showing the results of a veiltail x crowntail spawn?

They would just be for me and perhaps given to a few friends and family members so I'm not overly concerned about maintaining a fin standard; but, at the same time, I don't want to create something totally ugly either.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

They're properly known as "comb-tails"
Old 06-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #7 
Super Fish

Ohh, that is kind of adorable! Thank you.

Well I'll wait for a few more weeks, check out some other fish and then come back and decided whther or not I want to breed these two or not.

More input is still welcome though, so if anybody has anything more to add please do not hesitate.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

Super Fish- I bred my male red CT with my female blue VT. I have 2 kids left out of the whole 100+ spawn. Some crazy unknown reason why they all died, but I have 2! I personally think they're friggin' cute! But people on here say they are unwanted due to their finnage- plus it's hard to re-home bettas with quirky finnage/genetics. :/
Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #9 
Super Fish

Thank you for the info YouLoveGants - I would love to see pictures of the two "kids" you have left!

I would like to pass along the females colour; what would be the best colour of male to do this with?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Your female looks like a PK - the fighting variety, not show variety.

Crossing CT to any other tail type is usually undesired amongst those who prefer symmetrical and wide fins. You can end up with combtails but it will take you many generations of selective breeding which means a lot of culling (since most people don't want them). To most breeders (I think) it's not worth the effort since breeding them would cost the same as breeding show quality pairs (types that would sell). In my area, HM combtails (the nice symmetrical ones) are undesired - simple due to preference.

As for colors; you should get both colors in the offspring plus other multi combo's.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote