Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #1 
MaggieLynn

Help Betta not eating!!!!

Yesterday I bought 6 new fish. 5 females and a new male. I have started feeding the new fish the same times I feed my old fish. a couple pellets in the morning and a couple at night. Well both last night and this morning I have not seen my new guy eat. I watched each of the new tanks for about ten minutes each after i dropped the food in. I know he sees it because he will swim right up to it look at it and swim away. Should i switch to flakes? or maybe try some frozen food? Is this maybe just him adjusting to his tank? all of my other fish are eating like pigs. Is there anything I can do to make his transition better?
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #2 
GunsABlazin

try some other foods.
i just bought 5 females two days ago, and they just today ate the pellets. They loved the blood worms though.
Also, he may not eat right away.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #3 
MaggieLynn

Im planning on stopping by petco today. I might get flakes that i have used in the past and might get frozen blood worms. I know all of them would like those for a treat. And i should probably have some on hand any way one of my females has a hole in her tail im trying to heal
Old 06-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #4 
GunsABlazin

Yes, the protien would do her good, but blood worms can be a little more difficult to Digest.
For the hole, id get frozen or live food, they are easyer and have just as much, if not more protien.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #5 
Burd

Give him some time to get used to his new surroundings and settle in. He'll warm up to them soon.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #6 
MaggieLynn

I have tried pellets, flakes and frozen blood worms and he wont eat :( other than that he seems fine im just hoping that he will eat soon i am so worried.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #7 
Silverfang

It can take some new bettas a week or longer to start eating. As long as he's not sick, he'll eat when he's hungry enough.
Silverfang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #8 
MaggieLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
It can take some new bettas a week or longer to start eating. As long as he's not sick, he'll eat when he's hungry enough.
He doesn't seem sick. he swims about his tank and is atleast curious when food is put in. and he gets mad at his reflection like my other male does, thanks for the advice!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #9 
Epsleck

My fish is doing the same thing..
Epsleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #10 
ThorAndGhost

I have the same problem with my guy Ghost. He's a lovely cellophane who hasn't eaten for almost 3 weeks now!

He did, on two occasions, eat some frozen bloodworms (properly defrosted, of course) and spit them out soon afterward. I have no idea how long he can survive this way!

I bought 3 kinds of pellets, 2 kinds of flakes, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and now I'm hatching some brine shrimp eggs so maybe he'll eat some live food. I know baby bettas eat live brine shrimp, so maybe it'll remind him of simpler times, back when he was just a little fry, and he'll start eating.

If I come across something that works, I'll let you know. If you come across something that works, feel free to post it or message me! We need to stick together with out finicky little friends!!
ThorAndGhost is offline   Reply With Quote