Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #1 
Puzzle84

Bahamut has a weird bulge

Hi all,

Me and my wife went on a betta shopping spree yesterday and got some gorgeous betta's

They are all males and we have 2 of them in each tank (divided ofcourse) for now untill we know if they'll survive the 14 day guarantee.

Once they do we'll get them their own big tanks to flourish in.

So one of our pretty male boys "Bahamut" seemed to be doing great when we bought him.

We put him in his tank after cleaning letting the water reach the same temp as the water in the tank.

Fed him 2/3 pellets since we had no clue if he had been fed in the store at all. (Petco)

Now yesterday evening and still this morning he has this weird bulge just infront of his tail fin.
it seems to be more defined on his right flank than it is on his left.

I took some pictures of him in different states of his behaviour.

Bahamut flaring at the other resident

Bahamut flaring calmly

Weird bulge

Bulge again

Poor bahamut seems to be floating upwards and when he flares he goes sideways.

Does anyone have a clue how to help this poor soul?
Puzzle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #2 
Puzzle84

I would also like to note that all the other new residents are doing beautifully in their new homes and Bahamut is the only one showing these symptoms.

This morning, we looked up a few different kinds of problems bettas' can have and seem to have narrowed it down to Swimming Bladder Disease/Disorder. But I'm worried about my little Bahamut and that bulge just does not seem right.

Any advice/help is great appreciated!

(BTW: This is the wife typing and I have owned and raised 7 bettas in my lifetime, this a first time dealing with one with these symptoms. And I want to provide the best care, love and life for all the bettas in my care. Thanks)
Puzzle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #3 
youlovegnats

He's a double tail right?
I think that bulge is actually natural due to his two caudal fins. My male DT had that too- though not as noticeable... :/
But because he's floating too, I think he might have a swim bladder issue.
Use 1tsp of epsom salt per 1 gal. and keep the temp at around 76F-80F.
Hope this helps!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #4 
Toxi86

Hmm.. Alright. I'm moving him to a 1 gal bowl for the treatment. No rocks in it, so that I can monitor him and his passing of feces, 1 tsp. epsom salt, pre-treated water, warmer climate and no neighbor to exhaust him.

I'm also going to float a plant in the bowl with him so that he can rest and relax and hopefully get better quickly.

As a side note, is there anything else I could possibly do for him? I just feel so horrible that he's floaty. :(

Thanks,

Puzzle's Wife (on her own account now)

Edit:

Yes, Bahamut is a Doubletail Halfmoon.
Toxi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #5 
youlovegnats

Mmm, I'm not really sure... Since the problem isn't overfeeding and it looks to be just a swim bladder issue, the salt is really all you can do. I'd also do 100% changes and keep adding the salt each time you change it.
(side note- my male DT (deceased now) used to swim funny as well. He would bob at the top and when he was flaring he would swim funny. :/ I have no idea if that makes you feel any better, but just letting you know)
I wish you the best of luck!!

~ Natalie
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #6 
Burd

My two halfmoons both have a bulge there but like youlovegnats they're not nearly as noticeable. I'm rather curious what organs and fishy part are in that part of their body now...
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

That's his swim bladder actually, it's distended and enlarged... I have also noticed that DT's tend to show their swim bladder more so than other types but I've also seen obvious ones on VTs. All you can do is give him the Epsom Salt. If there is no improvement after 6-10 days then you can up the dose to 2tsp/gal to see if that helps. As long as he regains his ability to swim normally then don't worry if you can still see the lump. Good luck with him!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...Toxi and Puzzle.....

Looks like the caudal peduncle and a normal part of the anatomy.....

Often doubletails will have buoyancy issue and often this is due to poor breeding/genetic and sometimes it can be related to how they are raised at the fish farm....sometimes they will have a shorten body and spine deformities....other than the buoyancy problems sometimes their tummy will look bigger and can be somewhat compressed and this can cause pressure on the duct between the swimbladder and intestines and in turn you see buoyancy issue, constipation and can be more prone to inflammation in that area....with chronic problems-he may need long term Epsom salt 1tsp/gal once the acute problem resolves with the higher doses of Epsom salt 2-3tsp/gal, tannin along with 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days while in QT that is covered with plastic veggie wrap for the labyrinth organ with the QT floating in a heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range......

Pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the Epsom salt and tannins either from IAL or oak leaf and use this pre-mixed treatment water for the 100% daily water changes.....he may always have buoyancy problems if it is genetic related-but he can still live a somewhat normal life and be enjoyed...he is a lovely fella too....nice find....

Good luck and keep us posted...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

Your right, it is the caudal peduncle and it looks normal. Though the swim bladder can extend that far, you shouldn't be able to see it... Apparently I left my brain at Starbucks

Good luck with him Toxi. He might need to be on Epsom Salt long term but he should live a relatively normal life :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #10 
Toxi86

UPDATE:

So, Bahamut isn't doing great. He's REALLY pale in coloration now, still floaty and sad looking. We've been changing his water daily, keeping him warm and in a safe/calm/quiet room without the stress of the being around the other males.

He'd seemed to be happy and on the road to recovery yesterday but today, he's looking far worse and I"m very sad and worried. We've set up a larger tank with filtration and such but will not be able to move him for a couple of days while it sets up. So I suppose I'll just be keeping up with his water changes and epsom salt.

The think I'm worried about is he doesn't seem interested in anything but floating. I'll try the pea (tried Daphina.. he would not have any) again in a couple days but if I still see no feces.. what do I do? Not feeding him can't possibly help with his stress level if it's more stress induced than a constipation issue.

Any other ideas or advice to help my sick baby?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Side note:

Aeon and Carbuncle are doing beautifully and aside from a small issue with Nimrod's tail getting slices in it (we believe it was the plant in his tank) and Bismarck's seeming depression, all is well with all the other new babies.

Nimrod and Bismarck are my husband's. Thank you for taking the time to look here. We appreciate it.
Toxi86 is offline   Reply With Quote