Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #1 
Punki

Realistically

So ive had my male for 4-5 months and my female just over a month. I had NO plans to ever breed, and still think pretty negitively on it because i worry about my males age, and their mix, hes a veiltail and shes a crowntail.

Te backstory is that since ive gotten them, everyone i know has been interested, so of course i go all out explaining everything i know, because its interesting! I just recently moved them into a 10g divided and since seeing her my male *old man* has been building nests and going to look at her. Shes pretty indifferent, she has some eggs but no stripes or anything of that sort, shes about 6 months id say and very carefree and active. Anyways, yesterday during a family get together my dad mentioned breeding my fish, id been suggesting i go with him and get him a proper set up and healthy fish since he wanted one, but he figures if i raise them myself they will never be cupped on a shelf and hed get to enjoy them longer. Good point but still. Then my grandma said shed like one, then my sister, then my stepbrother lol! I jut stated that my male is an old man and probobly cant preform though his nests say otherwise, just to drop the subject since i only have one 10g currently usable anyways, and im using it dividing them. This morning my dad shows up with a 20g, no filter but an air pump..... I have researched breeding/fry care/conditioning/temps/foods ectect just out of curiosity but i never thought of it as something that would actually be suggested. When he dropped this off i told him that its plenty big enough, and i could make a diy sponge filter with what it came with but the problem still remained, i have 5 fish homes (family asking for one) but a spawn could lead to 100+! He sat for awhile, went home, and called me, "what if you scoop most of the nest out as soon as they finish to lower spawn count, we dont care about fins or anything, we just want to have healthy fish like you got." I had no response, and still do not. Ill admit the idea of breeding them is an interesting thing but realistically my male is over a year, thats beyond the breeding age usually recommended. My female is LOADED with eggs, she could very well drop over 100. My male is the standard blue/red veiltail, and though shes a gorgeus little crowntail i know they would make combtails, i think they look cute really, but are there any downsides other then visually having a sometimes ragged veiltail look? Would his colors override hers? Would the fry possibly have her color pattern? These are just questions im curious about. but the most important questions are-
-Whats the likely outcome of a male being 1y+ trying to breed, chances of success?

-Would removing most of a nest of fertilized eggs disrupt the male and make him give up possibly? Is this idea considered cruel? Are there other ways to limit spawn count without letting them develop into fry first?

Id still need to set it all up, buy plants, microworms and bbs, and i doubt id be paying for any of it. My fish are always in conditioned states, fed live foods daily along with a couple of pellets, overly frequent water changes ect, i just am lucky and have alot of resources already available.

If i ended up with extra females i could just keep them in the 20g as a sorority, i could find a few homes for the males and id keep one myself, just in case anything happened to old man, id have a piece of him. Im just really looking for someone to help talk the idea down or give suggestions/experiences. Pictures of the expected outcome would be nice also if possible, not that anyone who wants one cares, just to have an idea of what to expect. Looking forward to responses. :)

-
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #2 
Luimeril

imo, as long as he's not like.... over 3 years old, he can breed.

you'll get combtails, but i've always been told they'd be ragged-looking veils.

as for color, you may be purples. :d well, technically blues with red wash, but still! purples!

the experienced breeders can answer most of your questions, though. >.>; i'm in no way experienced.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #3 
youlovegnats

I agree with Lui, you could breed your male if you wanted. :)
You'd get comb-tails- which look like VT's with spikes, but you'd have GREAT coloring! O0O!
Regarding limiting the spawn count:: You're going to have fry die off naturally- so that will limit the count some, but not a lot. I'd wait until they were 3-4 weeks of age and then cull the ones you don't want/ see fit. Ooorrr you could sell them to LFS? I know Aqua Bid is out of the question...
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #4 
Creat

I dont think it sounds cruel but it may scare him off. You could use an eyedropper though and suck some out of the nest from the top this might work better but i dont know. I wouldnt expect a 100 or more fry, though it is possible, but sense they are first time breeders and a lot of the time dont know what their doing.
Also fry tend to take after their mother more. Also I bred a line of fish thats really just my personal line that started with a HM male and VT female at the third generation I have delta's but thats because I keep breeding back to HM's probably. Its nice to know I have a piece of my old male and all the wonderful fish that came from him.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #5 
Punki

As far as i have seen and looked, i dont have any nice local mom and pop shops around me, just the standard petsmart/petco that i wouldnt consider regardless. I have room for 3 males and the 20g could house...8-10 females afterwards? Im sure id have more family/friends jumping if i actually offered them as well, but id rather have not enough then too many for sure. My dad getting one is the most important person, hes recently had a nervous breakdown and spends a couple of hours at my house daily watching my two. Id really like him to have one to watch in bed at night to relax :) The people who i know want one know 100% of their needs and im just right down the road and visiting often to help if needed. Its good to hear that my old man is indeed breedable. I imagine id have some nipped fins in the end but i would probably be overprotective and watching like a hawk having sleepless nights till they finished to insure they moth survived and didnt get beaten too badly. Thats my worst fear. Thanks to you both for the comments/suggestions and looking forward to more :)
Old 06-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #6 
Punki

Creat, thats good to hear, though i love my old man and hes pretty, ive gotta admit my females pattern/colors are more vibrant then his by far lol. If i do start working on this, and it is a success, i think an eyedropper would be far less traumatizing then scooping so id try that, hopefully that wouldnt cause him a scare. Thanks for that idea. If possible id prefer to remove the fry before they actually...were fry, culling is something i would do if needed for deformities but for a healthy fry, im not so sure. I might end up with an aquarium house in that case :))
Yeah this would definitly be a personal breed, im not out to sale them or anything, just alot of family that have become interested.
Its funny, when the male was in his little bowl for the first month (still taken care of) nobody cared much but now that ive spoiled them, and they are in aquariums with proper care, colorful, vibrant, and actively swimming all over, everyone wants one. If petstores would just put them in a nice space with lights and water changes people would probobly be 10x more interested in getting them.

Last edited by Punki; 06-29-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #7 
Creat

If you feel like you have to cull (like have more then 50 head standers) you can also pull them out of the nest but I think about 30 head standers in the nest would be fine cause some might not make it to free swimming. And I have a feeling you would get some nice marble purple combtails.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

^ even better idea! I agree with Creat!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #9 
Luimeril

if you DO breed them, i may want a baby. :d purples, i've fallen in love with, thanks to my purple male, Purple(i'm SO original with names! LOL). plus, your gal is adorable! <3 i'd want one like her. o3o
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #10 
Punki

Good idea. Once they start looking like more then dots and are healthy i wont be able to cull so that sounds perfect. Ive read many ways to breed, different release times and such, and i know every pair is different. Im hoping the 20g is big enough so that they still give it a go but has more space then a 10g to cut down on the nipping a bit. Im sure it will help with the fry's life because of less chance of water change issues. Shes much faster then my male so more area to hide in and hopefully not TOO much space. When i do try, Im hoping to release her well into it so that they hopefully spawn soon after. Shes never displayed breeding nor stress stripes so hopefully she does show when shes ready. Their health is my top priority, i dont want to lose them.
Luim- lol If i knew how to ship them, id ship you one right over if i had extras. Purple would be a nice color, in some lights my female looks purple, her tail is pinkish purple, along with her cheeks, if you shine a flashlight on her tail the white at the beginning of her tail has a green dust to it. Itd definatly have many interesting possibility's with colors :) My male also sometimes looks purple, mostely in a dim light the red and blue mix.

Last edited by Punki; 06-29-2011 at 03:16 PM.