Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #1 
HarlequinBBRM

And the hits just keep on coming...

So in addition to his wonky dorsal fin, now it seems that Sebatian has ick. I spotted a small white dot on his side (only one so far!) and immediately QT him in a separate 1/2 gallon to stop any further contamination until I get to the store for meds and salt tomorrow. I have also jacked up the temp in his regular tank, aiming to raise it from 79* to 83* to possibly kill any nasties in the tank.

The questions are:
Do I now have to completely gut the 5 gal and super clean it, or will the rising temps kill any possible ick in the tank?

If using salt, and adding 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that I end up with 3 times the normal concentration, when I do a 100% change, do I add 3 tsp/gallon straight away?

How long do I continue treatment of ick, both salt and medication routes? (I will be trying salt fisrt, then will move on to API Super Ick Cure if I don't have success with it.)

He seems to be acting completely normal: still active, eating well, etc. so I'm hoping I caught it in the early stages.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by HarlequinBBRM; 06-29-2011 at 06:32 PM.
HarlequinBBRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #2 
HarlequinBBRM

Anyone?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #3 
HarlequinBBRM

Anybody have any advice?????
Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #4 
Creat

If it i only one spot usually I just add salt only and see if that helps. Ich is one of those diseases that is always present in the water and when the fish becomes stressed it gets a chance to attack. I would add salt for a week or two and if it gets worse then medicate the tank. And I keep the concentration at only 1 tsp/ gallon. I think 3 tsp might be a little much but thats just me
And no unless your tank isnt cycled dont tear it down and start over, there is nothing that would be gained I feel.
Oh and sorry if I can help more. Best of Luck!
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #5 
DarkMoon17

Sorry about the delay...
If your betta is the only animal in the tank then remove him from the tank for a week and any parasites in the tank will die for lack of a host.... A thorough cleaning of the gravel with a gravel vacuum would help.
Since it is only one spot atm, try just 1tsp/gal but if you see any more then increase to 3tsp/gal gradually. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Don't continue salt treatments for more than 14 days.
Good luck and keep us posted :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #6 
HarlequinBBRM

Thumbs up Update

So the spot seems to have disapeared over night while he was in is separate tank. I proceded with the salt bath anyway as I was planing on treating him for a damaged fin, so it is a win-win situation anyway. I will let everybody know how it goes next Monday when I get back from vacation!

Tags
ich, ich disease, ick, ick disease, treatment