Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #1 
Kestral

Cut?

It looks diff. in real life... I can tell it is blood because it is redder, and a little splotchy-er.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75%
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once in the morning, once at night.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? N/A
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AquaSafe Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? There are two red cuts on each of her sides - one on her gills, and one by her face. Other than that, she looks fine.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I was riding home, when I first got Kiwi, I noticed the cuts. I sort-of noticed them at the store, but I might be getting glasses so I thought my eyes were messing with me...
Have you started treating your fish? Yes. If so, how? I give her a 1/4 of a teaspoon of Bettafix every day.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have only had her for a few days, and I have no idea how long she has been at the petstore.

Please, I love Kiwi, and I don't want her to die! :(
Kestral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi Kestral, do you know how Kiwi got her cuts? And how is she acting? Is she eating and is she active?

First of all, the best way to keep Kiwi alive and healthy is to get her a 1g bowl or bigger and a do a 75% water change every other day. In her current 1/2 g bowl, you'll need to change the water every day. Secondly, bettas are tropical fish and thrive in warm waters. If you can get Kiwi a 1g bowl or bigger, you can get her a small heater to keep her water around 78-80 degrees.

You can keep treating her with the Bettafix for as long as the instructions say. If her behavior changes at all, like she gets lethargic and just lays on the bottom all the time, then post because she may be getting an infection. I hope Kiwi gets better for you soon!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #3 
Kestral

She's not lethargic and she is eating normally. She's in perfect condition, except for the cuts.
I would get her a bigger tank, but my mom will not let me. :( I'm going to get each of my fish larger tanks once I sell many of my old toys however, which should give me $200 to spend!
I have no idea how she got her cuts... she had them when I bought her.
What do you mean by 75% water change?
And, the instructions say to give it to her once a day, for a week, then change the water, and if the cuts don't go away, to continue the treatment. She has only been on it for three days, and I have only had her for three days and a half. :)

Last edited by Kestral; 06-28-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #4 
Kestral

I meant to put 75-76 degrees.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #5 
Sakura8

She's really cute. I have a girl who looks similar to her but is a darker color. By 75% water change, I mean you remove 75% of the water and replace that. But if she has to stay in her 1/2g for a while, you may want to change 25% every day. Just take a cup and scoop out some water until it looks like there's just a little over half of the water left in there. Use the water conditioner to dechlorinate the water you are going to put back in and pour that water in and voila, all done.

Well, she may have gotten her cuts from the edges of her cup before you got her, if she was uoset during shipping or upset by the way someone picked up her cup at the pet store, then she might have thrashed around a bit and cut herself. Also, some bettas only look like they have cuts but it's just part of their natural look. If the cuts don't seem to go away after treating her for a week with the bettafix and they don't get worse either, than maybe they are just natural.

What are the dosage instructions for the Bettafix?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #6 
HayrideHaunter

erm...is it possible its just her coloring? i dunno...but my boy is white with dark red bits on his gills and dark red "smudges" between his eyes and gills...i sppose with a darker background color they could be mistaken as cuts? just a thought
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Yes, my crimson red girl has two patches of bright, bright red on her cheeks (like blush). It's possible those are natural markings but it doesn't hurt to try the Bettafix for a week just in case.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #8 
HayrideHaunter

i also thought markings perhaps because her ventrals have the same red in them...but yes, bettafix cant hurt as a precaution =)
Old 06-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #9 
Kestral

Goodness, it might be that that is her coloring. XD Is blood supposed to be shiny? She has a pinkish tint to her fins, so the 'cuts' may very well be part of her markings.
It doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. I thought it was a little strange how she has two cuts on each side in the exact same spot...
The 'cut' on her gills & face doesn't seem to be affecting anything, she swims around normally and when I got her she looked fine...
0.0 After closer inspection, it looks like those 'cuts' are actually part of her coloring... odd coloring...
I'm planning to buy Silver & Kiwi each a 2.5 gallon tank, and, well...
I might be getting another Betta too...
Is there any brand of water conditioner, food, plants etc. that you guys reccomend that could keep Silver and Kiwi in top condition?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #10 
HayrideHaunter

well, the fact that its the same on both sides just about confirms that she has cute little smudges just like my boy XD...hope thats all it is!