Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?: No
Is your tank heated?: No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?: None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?: Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish?: Once daily, 4-6 pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?: Three times weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?: 50% twice weekly, 100% weekly
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: TopFin Betta Water Conditioner. I just started adding 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon to treat the fin rot.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .5 ppm
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?: My fish, Clippard, is a crowntail. His lower fins have developed whitish tips, while his tail and top fins are beginning to look ragged on the edges. He doesn't seem to be losing any length except for a little on the top.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?: Clip has been acting pretty normal. He still darts around his tank when someone enters the room, flares at me, nips at my finger, and eats like a pig.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?: I first noticed the whiteness on his tips this Sunday. On Monday, I noticed that portions of his fins were becoming ragged.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?: I gave Clip's tank a 100% change on Sunday and again on Tuesday. I've also done a 50% change today (his water was cloudy) and added 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?: Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)?: Unsure. I've had him for almost two months and he is the same size as he was when I got him.

I'm hoping you all can help me out. I'm certain this all started last Monday when I attempted to give Clippard his weekly 100% change. He kept darting around the tank and wouldn't let me scoop him out to clean the tank. Fearing that I was stressing him out, I did what amounted to about a 75% change and kept with his cleaning schedule for the rest of the week: a 50% on Wednesday, a 50% on Friday, and a 100% on Sunday. Sunday was when I noticed his bottom fins turning white on the tips. Assuming (probably correctly) that Clip ended up with finrot because of a dirty tank, I began treating him with aquarium salt the next day. This was when I observed portions of his fins becoming ragged.

I'm concerned because Clippard's fins seem to look more ragged now than they did when I began treating him. He likes to drag his fins and lean on things, so, thinking he may be tearing himself, I removed a plastic plant and about half of the gravel from his tank to prevent him from injuring his fins more. II'm worried that his fin rot may be too severe to treat with only aquarium salt.

These are the questions I have:

1) How long should I wait for Clippard to heal on his own before resorting to medication?

2) How often should I be cleaning his tank while treating him? I know that 1 gallon is awfully small, but I need to work with what I have for right now. Would alternating 50% and 100% changes work, or should I change 100% of the water each day?

3) If Clippard does require medication, do you have any recommendations on what I should use?

Thanks in advance!
sweetpearacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...

White tips usually mean new growth since their fins grow their whole life and as you suspect...the gravel and other items in the tank may be the reason for the tattered rays...it could also be the filter itself...kinda like the flag in the wind effect.......

In a 1gal tank (which is fine) you may want to remove the filter all together and do twice weekly water changes....1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality.....you can make too many water changes IMO/E...its a balance of sorts....you have to maintain water quality yet still allow some good and bad bacteria/pathogens develop to encourage/support a strong immune response...too sterile/clean can be as bad as too dirty especially in closed systems with limiting factor......

Nutrition is also important...a good varied diet fed in small frequent meals is best......live food on occasion is always enjoyed.....

Love to see some pics......keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #3 
RayneForhest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

you can make too many water changes IMO/E...its a balance of sorts....you have to maintain water quality yet still allow some good and bad bacteria/pathogens develop to encourage/support a strong immune response...too sterile/clean can be as bad as too dirty especially in closed systems with limiting factor.....
I hope I'm not making this mistake.
I'm so overwhelmed by all the different plants, substrate, filters/no filters, temperature discrepancies... For my environment and lifestyle I really have no idea what's the best method for me and my fish.

Right now, I feed my guys a varied diet of mosquito larvae, flakes, bloodworms, pellets, and whatever else comes in the water I collect with the mosquito larvae.

Right now, I'm trying my best to wrap my head around EVERYTHING I read here... OFL, you've been such a source of solid info as well as INCREDIBLY generous with the knowledge you've acquired
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #4 
sweetpearacer

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, OFL. I snapped a couple of shots of Clippard, per your request, though they may be a little blurry. He never seems to stop moving.

In this picture, you can definitely see the lighter portions of his lower fins, particularly the ones on the left, further from his tail and closer to his head.

This picture (as Clippy hides behind his BFF, the thermometer) shows the tatters a bit, particularly if you look at his tail. They're not terribly visible with the clarity of this camera.

I removed his filter upon your recommendation. Clippard is fearless and will swim alongside it, his fins flying about, so there's probably a good chance that he did damage his fins in the current, as you suggested. My only concern about turning off the filter is how cloudy the water gets without it. After a water change last week, I forgot to turn the filter back on. Six hours later, the whole tank was grey. With this type of buildup, will it still be all right for me to change the water only twice a week? Is there anything I can use to prevent cloudiness?

FYI, Clippy is certainly not acting hurt or ill. In fact, he took it upon himself to headbutt my finger when I stuck it in the tank. I take this as a good sign.

Thank you again for coming to our rescue so quickly. I'm glad to have found such a knowledgeable, helpful community.
sweetpearacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:13 AM   #5 
tangt88

Hi, I can't offer much help but I just wanted to share that I'm having a similar problem with my guy Loung (had him for 2 weeks). Posters in my thread are suggesting that it may be fin growth. I've tried looking up as many mild fin rot pictures as I could and the white or clear tips don't seem to be indicitive of fin rot. I am starting to think its more a case of new fin growth + tattering from the filter since new growth is fragile.

Clippy sounds alot like Loung, lol! When he gets near the filter output, he just swims about fins whipping and doesn't seem to care. I'm starting to think that he finds it fun because I've aimed the spout into the back corner so the current keeps him out of that area and I've found him trying (and failing) to swim into that corner furiously a few times.

Anyway, I as well have a bit of aq salt in my tank now and am changing more water than usual for the next few weeks and am going to monitor is condition.

It may be that we both have tail-biters or the filters r just trashing up their new finnage. Good luck to you and Clippy!
tangt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

What a lovely fella you have....nice find....live plants make great filters....floating like water lettuce and stem plants hygrophilia species work great in small tanks.....its good that he is active.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote