Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #1 
xMandy

White fin tips

Hey guys
I dropped Kumo on the carpet (my fish never get a break.I swear.) He jumped out the net as I was putting him in a cup yesterday.

Today he looks like he has white fuzzy tips on the ends of his pectoral fins.
When he moved a bit some shook off..but there's still more on.
Can anyone tell me what this is? And what to do about it? I had a molly who did this before. I just treated her with salt and some other meds. She eventually got over it. Should I do this with him?

Also.. Akio
He seems to have black lines on him all the time and sits at the bottom of his bowl all day long. Only really moves to eat. I don't know what to do about him. What are these?;

Sorry he's out of water. I was trying to see if he was swollen as well..but couldn't in his bowl. He hides by a plant.
Attached Images

xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #2 
CyerRyn

Are you sure the white stuff isn't stuff he couldve gotten from the floor? He looks a little fat too but that could be just the camera angle.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #3 
xMandy

He didn't have it last night. It shook off him but now it's back on his fins.
And Akio is a fatty right now. It's not as bad as it is in the pic.. but that section is a little swollen.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #4 
HarlequinBBRM

The white fuzz sounds like a type of fungus. And if he has horizontal stripes, that means he is stressed by something (for example, mine goes pale with stripes when I remove him to do water changes). Did anything new get added to the tank? Is he in a divided tank? Something must be stressing him out, and the only way to solve that issue really is to find the cause of the stress.

If the salt baths worked on a similar problem on another fish, I would see if that would work. Other more experienced people on the site will chime in with their opinions soon!
HarlequinBBRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #5 
xMandy

Akio doesn't have a fungus.. that was Kumo I was talking about lol

And I don't know what's up Akio (fihs in pic).
He came home from the pet shop and was put in a 2.5g with a heater, daily water changes, bubbler, and plants/hide areas.
Well, I moved him to a bowl now where he has plant..yet he does the same stuff. He wasn't too active in the cup when I got him either. He's never not had the black stripes. They go away and come back often.
He just seems really un-happy right now .-.
I thought it was him settling in to a new home.. but he's been here for weeks now with no change.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #6 
HarlequinBBRM

I know, I just didn't word my reply properly.
Kumo *may* have a fungus.

So you moved Akio from the 2.5 gallon, to a bowl (what size btw)? And am I correct in saying that he had the stress stripes while in the 2.5g, and you tried a different housing situation to see if he got better? Where do you keep his bowl/tank? If it is in a high traffic area, or if the light is too harsh, he could be freaking out about that. He may just be a super sensitive fish, that freaks out about any little thing. He may just have that kind of personality.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #7 
xMandy

He's in a 1/1.5g bowl right now. He's in my room where it's only me doing school work during the day.
I moved him to see if it would get better, yes.
He doesn't have heavy light on him all the time.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #8 
HarlequinBBRM

He may just be super paranoid and stressed like that then. They all have their little quirks!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #9 
xMandy

Well this just turned heart breaking.
Kumo was being treated for this fungus stuff..but with that + the fight with Li he didn't make it.
Well, he's passing now. I would get something to put him out now but the only thing I can do is shock him. (from cold to hot or hot to cold water..)
He's like paralyzed right now. Fins are fanned and he just went into this fit that looked like a seizure..sigh. I just have one hand in so he can rest on my fingers.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #10 
HarlequinBBRM

I am so sorry to hear about Kumo. He will be waiting for you at the end of the rainbow bridge, doing a wiggle that only bettas can do.