Sunshine0235

Urgent Help

Housing
What size is your tank? 55 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Other bettas, guppies, platys, tetras, one pleco.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?Aqua culture betta pellet food and some other flakes for the other tropical fish.
How often do you feed your betta fish? One a day, i crush up some of the pellets, they are too large for some of the bettas and i pinch of the flakes, and every other day i feed freeze fried bloodworms.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week or more depending on water level
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water condition , not sure on the name.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
no
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She looks bloated and is swimming wierd.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She is swimming sideways near the top of the water. She was still trying to eat, i got her three days ago at petsmart and she was fine.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About five minutes ago when i fed them, she was fine yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no not sure of what to do
Does your fish have any history of being ill? n/a
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6 months?

I leave for vacation on friday at 4:30 am, so i cant put her in a hospital tank for too long. We have a guy coming to feed all of our pets, but i cant expect him to do much, just feed.
Sunshine0235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #2 
Neil D

Umm, if she's a she, is it possible shes eggy? Or maybe bloated?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

Sorry your betta isn't feeling too well. It sounds like she's bloated. QT her and treat her with 1tsp/gal Epsom Salt and 100% daily water changes. You can fast her or offer a small small amount of frozen daphnia. In the future, limit how often you feed the freeze-dried worms. They are a common culprit of constipation and subsequent swim bladder trouble. Freeze dried foods shouldn't be fed more than once per week as a treat. Frozen bloodworms are a much better alternative. Good luck and keep us posted!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #4 
MaggieLynn

Im no expert and new to betta issues but it sounds like swim bladder disease which is probably from the freeze dried blood worms you are feeding your fish. those should only be a treat once a week because they can cause constipation that can cause SBD. You should put her in her own tank and fast her and watch to see if she poops for lack of a better word. Get epsom salt and add 1 teaspoon per gallon of the quarantine tank. change the water daily. after 2 days you can up to 2 tsp. you should also look at other threads for SBD or private message old fish lady. The guy coming to feed your fish should be able to do the water changes and epsom salt just make sure that you dont surpass 10 days, i think it was. also you might want to make sure that the quarantine tank is heated to 80 degrees maybe even 82. hope this helps!
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #5 
Sunshine0235

I only fed them with the bloodworms once since i got her and it was only a few, about them size of a dime for about 30 fish. Now that i have been thinking about it i think i only feed the bloodworms twice a week, i was just panicky cause i am leaving friday and wont be able to help her. other than her funky swimming and looking slighly more bloated than the other she looks fine, not fin tears or stress stripes. Shes really pretty and i already love her and am very worried.

I will only be able to keep her in the quaratine tank for 24 hrs, then i have to put her back. Should i leave her and not put her through the stress of netting, or put her in the .75 gallon for the 24 hours?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #6 
Sunshine0235

Its been two hours since i noticed it, i just checked on her again, she is still bloated, but seems to be swimming better. She is staying mostly upright.She also isnt stuck at the top inch of water she made it a 1/3 to 1/2 way down the tank be fore she gave up and went back to the top, i have no idea whats going on. She still swims slight tilted.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #7 
MaggieLynn

if you have stress coat or anything like that it may help in the QT just make sure it is for epsom salt. Just keep an eye on her i guess. I hope things get better
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

If it isn't a serious case of SBD then she should recover quickly if you QT her and add the 1tsp/gal Epsom Salt. QTing fish is not overly stressful, it is much more important to treat her and get her back to normal before you leave. If it is food related (as in, she pigged out), then she should recover rather quickly (mine usually recover within 48 hours). If not, it's up to you. I would float her in a container in the 55 tank and add the Epsom Salt. If you get 2 containers then you can use one to house her and one to heat up clean Epsom treated water. You can premix a few gallons of epsom water for your petsitter. You just switch her into the new clean container each day, empty out the dirty one and refill it with epsom treated water, put it back in the 55 gal to heat up and repeat. It is pretty easy... I've had petsitters do that for me.

But if you aren't comfortable with that, treat her until you have to leave and then release her. Just do what you can while you are home. I'm actually in the same boat since I'm leaving Friday for a 12 day trip and I have a few bettas being treated... My poor petsitter has a zoo to take care of!

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 06-29-2011 at 10:30 PM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote