Betta Fish Forum banner

Sick!

1K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  GunsABlazin 
#1 ·
:evil: So i went to get crickets for our leopard gecko today...and i went and looked at the fish in the community tanks. Im looking around and i see this poor beta male bouncing along on the bottom, absolutely NO tail to be seen. I pointed it out and she said "yea, well we put them in the community tanks when we clean their cups, and they are just so hard to get back out. They dont swim very well."
Grrrrr
I didnt have any spare money...but im going back tomorow to get a cople coreys and if he is still alive i am going to buy him.
Other then the missing tail he seemed perfectly fine.:evil:

#2 ·
Yeah, get him! I'm surprised they bothered to save him at all and didn't just euthanize him when he became "too much of a problem."

By the way, I totally wish I could buy your horse. Can't afford boarding, though. :( I hope you find a good new owner. What breed/color?

#4 ·
wasnt petco, it was pets&pals...iv never been in a petco..lol. i can TRY but..-.- im not very good at confronting people and hassleing...

Sakura- she is a blood bay 17+hh canadian standerdbred. i you find my post in the "other pets" thread, i have a photo of her. Genuine april.

#5 ·
She's beautiful. Probably too tall for me, I'm only 5'2". I am envious you have a percheron, I love draft horses.

This mare wasn't mine but I was able to work with her for a few wonderful years, as she lived on a friend's ranch. When she did come up for sale, I couldn't afford boarding so I was heartbroken at having to let her go. I later heard she went blind in one eye and as her former owner put it, "went to horsey heaven." :( She was less than 15 yrs so God knows what happened.
Mammal Vertebrate Hair Horse Mane

Okay, done going off topic.

How much was the betta? Argue that since he has no tail, it's hard to price him 'cause he could be a veiltail or more expensive halfmoon. At any rate, I sure hope you can rescue him.

#6 ·
they didnt have a price for him..he was just thrown in a tank. im pretty sure they meant for him to die ad the other fish to eat him.
O will get zee look for my mom >.>
but if he is still alive, i will try and haggle a price...im not paying more then $2 for him...since he is tail less
and he is SUCH a pretty ELECTRIC blue...and this is when he is freaking out!

ok my mom said she expected my to want to go back and get him. haha if he is still in the tank, we can get him.

#8 ·
Haha, sounds like your mom knows you well. :) I really hope you can get him. Hopefully the store will be happy to take $2 vs. a dead betta they can't get ANY money on. He sounds so neat. And given all the right care, his tail will most likely grow back. Another poster here has a tailless betta and her tail is slowly growing back.

I miss working with horses. That's the price I pay for living in a town with the conveniences of fast food restaurants right over the back fence. :roll: Your horses are beautiful and you obviously take such good care of them for them to get to a good old age. Sadly, the horses at my friend's ranch were left on their own a lot so they were kind of like scrub ponies. If I had the money for boarding, I'd be hopping over the CA and OR borders and checking your girl Genuine April out. :)

Good luck! I'm rooting for you to get the little tailless guy!

#7 ·
and i dont think you would be to short for her...im only 5'3.
I cant get up on ANY of my horses w/o a wall or step lol.

#9 ·
i will try!
just bugged me soo badly.
How long can they live at the bottum? the tank had an air stone..

#13 ·
and even though i brought it up she didnt seem to care.

#15 ·
well the owner of the store was their today, she scooped him up and gave him to us for free.

Looks like he has a deformity in his back.

#16 ·
That's great you got him for free. There's another poster here who has a betta witha back deformity. Here's the thread:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73063&highlight=loryen

For now, your little guy probably needs a shallow QT tank with warm water and a lowered water level so he can reach the surface easy. You can float his cup in a tank so he stays warm. Get a gallon jug or something like that and mix up 1 gallon of dechlorinated water and 1 tsp of aquarium salt. Let the salt dissolve, then add that to his cup. It will help his fins.

#17 ·
i have him in an inch of water, i will be moving him to another cup with the same amount and a AQ salt/Black water mix.

#22 ·
She told me she thought he was a double-tail...before the whole tail-loss problem.

#25 ·
So heres a delema.
I cant float him in ether of my heated tanks.
Im sure my sorority girls would taunt him like mad, and he got super stressed last night because i floated him in the tank with my Half-Moon. I even put the tank divider up so Graphite couldn't bug him directly.
He was flaring at first, it was cute.
He has his colors back now that i took his cup out of the heated tank.

:/ my room is holding steady in the mid to high 70's, but id like his water to be in the low 80's.

#28 ·
i have a bright red one that cant be seen through at all, i will use that! :D
He is sitting up more today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.