Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #1 
nicoled

Unhappy What is this white growth? Please help!

During the past few weeks I've noticed a white cauliflower-like growth under my Betta's dorsal fin (see picture). The fin itself just seemed to slowly deteriorate and this ugly looking thing grew under it. Can anyone please identify it and recommend a treatment? Note: My filter broke a couple of months ago and I never replaced it in my 2 gallon tank. Could this have caused my little Johnny's problem? I feel aweful about this. Please help!
Attached Images

nicoled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:37 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Looks like he's got columnaris or cottonwool disease. I'm not 100% on the treatment so you may want to PM Oldfishlady because she has had more experience treating this disease. I hope your little guy gets better. :( Poor buddy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:52 AM   #3 
omgitslph

It's maracyn I or II. I can't remember off the top of my head. I think it's II, but there is a strain that you use I on or something. Hopefully someone can narrow this down further. xD
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 AM   #4 
Sakura8

I can't remember if you lower the heat or up the heat either. Obviously, I'm not much of a help. ^_^
Old 06-30-2011, 03:02 AM   #5 
omgitslph

Lower. About 75˚F – 77˚F.
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:09 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Okay. Maracyn II treats gram negative bacteria which is what columnaris is, so put the little guy in a QT and dose in that and the water needs to be cooler to slow down the growth of the bacteria (thanks omgitslph).
Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #7 
DarkMoon17

Can you fill out the sticky in the disease section?

For bacterial/fungal infections you lower temp to 75-76*F... You can use Maracyn I combined with Maracyn II but considering he has been fighting this for a few weeks it must not be an aggressive or fast moving infection. Increased water changes and Aquarium Salt should treat it. Perform a 100% water change and continue to perform daily 100% water changes. You can quarantine him in a small plastic container like the one he came in to make water changes easier. Add 1tsp/gal Aquarium salt twice, 12 hours apart so you end up with a concentration of 2tsp/gal. Replace the salt after each water change. Don't continue salt treatment for more than 10 days, if that does not do it, then use the Maracyn & Maracyn II.

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 06-30-2011 at 08:49 AM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #8 
nicoled

Thank you all so much for your words of advice. I'm new at this forum and cannot figure out how to post on the sticky yet. Hopefully I'll figure it out. Thanks again everyone! I'll let you know how it goes.
nicoled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #9 
Sakura8

You're welcome. If you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask.