Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #1 
TharBePirates

Question Plakats

Well, as it all when down in the emergencies forum my feathered super delta dragon Gyarados passed late last night after some nasty bite wounds from a platy (she was... unstable to say the least) got infected and led to dropsy and cotton mouth.

The entire time I was treating him I was fielding advice from 3 different fish forums, including the local club I belong to in the bay area. After his death I was offered up the chance to adopt a plakat from another member, from what I recall I do believe they're giants (I could be wrong?) and he breeds a mixture of dragons and dark knights. (I know right now he's selling a large lot of DKs, they're stunning)

I told him it was a little too soon to replace G, however I will definitely hit him up when I feel ready. I'm done with big finned bettas. After having G the only way I'd consider would putting them in their own setup. The fins are just too delicate and the lack of ability to swim on the bigger finnage greatly effects the quality of life. So these plakats are what I'd be interested in in the future as they'd be more compatible with a community tank.

So the question is has anyone had experience with plakats? What's the temperament on them or does that differ?
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #2 
Luimeril

i have one. a large female named Lulu. in my experience, she's a pretty placid betta. i mean, she flares with the best of them, and is really jumpy(she often splashes about in her tank at night. while i'm trying to sleep. bugger.). but, she submits to my much smaller veiltail female, Caroline(they're in their separate tanks, but able to see each other. they flare, Lulu gets the submission bars and stops flaring). but, i've never had her in with any other fish. ever. .__. so, with other fish, i'm not sure.

then again, Lulu's odd. scared of tanks larger than a gallon. >.>;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #3 
fleetfish

I only have one PK boy, Viridian. He's an absolute sweetheart, swims away if he sees himself, and loves to hide in his fake plants. But I've seen some PKs that are total warmongers - they flare at anything, eat anything, jump out of their tanks ... what I'm getting at is that they're like any other betta, and their temperaments vary from fish to fish. Personally I love them because they don't have the large fins to drag them down.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #4 
metalbetta

My plakat boy Rikku used to be very aggressive when he was younger, but he's chilled out since. He's very docile nowadays. He's even in a divided tank with one of my aggressive VTs and he barely flares at him. I wouldn't say there's much difference in temperament from other tail types. If you happened to get an aggressive one, he'd probably be a better fighter because of the short tail, but that's probably the extent of it.
Sorry to hear about Gyrados. :(
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #5 
TharBePirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbetta View Post
My plakat boy Rikku used to be very aggressive when he was younger, but he's chilled out since. He's very docile nowadays. He's even in a divided tank with one of my aggressive VTs and he barely flares at him. I wouldn't say there's much difference in temperament from other tail types. If you happened to get an aggressive one, he'd probably be a better fighter because of the short tail, but that's probably the extent of it.
Sorry to hear about Gyrados. :(
Thanks Metal. I know I've been gone for awhile but I hope all your fish are well :)

I had to go to Petsmart today to return some stuff and replace some air hosing and airstone I pitched from the QT tank. Sure enough like everyone's talked about they're now carrying Plakat dragons. I checked them out and I did in fact find some very mellow and some who would clearly need their own space.

I really want a new little friend. I keep on reaching for the betta food thinking it's time to feed G or looking at the tank and wiggling my fingers against the glass thinking he'll come up and hang with me It feels a little too soon though. I mean I just buried him yesterday.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #6 
metalbetta

Eh, my fish are doing okay. I lost several to a columnaris outbreak, but I think we're finally winding down from it over here. Hopefully I'll be able to set the sorority tank back up next month.
I can't wait to go check out petsmart's new stock, I've heard a lot about dragons and DTs being there now! Take as much time as you need, but I'm sure "G" would want you to give your love to a new friend. :)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #7 
n3wport

Eddie money is awesome. He has more personality than my crowntail. I still luv them both. When I put food in the tank he gets a swimming start and rams it and attacks it. The crowntail just eats it. Eddie Money swims around his tank in circles flairing and is a grump. He is so cute! I love plakats =)
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #8 
laughing

Plakats are not any different from any other fin types, they are still bettas!

Mine is the sweetest thing ever. He follows me around the room and when I sit next to him he hangs by the side. He builds amazing bubblenests all the time, and sometimes that is the ONLY thing he will do... He is extremely friendly & personable. I love having him around. Plus, he still flares like no other and is even more beautiful compared to a lot of bettas.

Do it! :D
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #9 
TharBePirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbetta View Post
Eh, my fish are doing okay. I lost several to a columnaris outbreak, but I think we're finally winding down from it over here. Hopefully I'll be able to set the sorority tank back up next month.
I can't wait to go check out petsmart's new stock, I've heard a lot about dragons and DTs being there now! Take as much time as you need, but I'm sure "G" would want you to give your love to a new friend. :)
Sorry to hear about that

Thank you for all the info on your plakat experiences. Look who I picked up this morning at Petsmart-

(apologies for the cell phone pics)
I saw him yesterday, nearly bought him, slept on it and decided I needed to go back and get him. His name is Tesla.