Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #1 
Pitluvs

Normal Behavior after Shipping?

Since many on here buy from online places, I was wondering what's the normal behavior for a Betta after shipment? Just wondering so I can watch Carnage and make sure nothing is up. He's going from two very different water types so I'm really worried about him.

What did your Betta do on his first day home?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #2 
fishman12

Well I don't know but I'm guessing they are shocked/scared mostly...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

??? :(

Turns out the pH levels in my tank were too high for Carnage and I was loosing him. I asked a breeder since I had NO comments here and thankfully he's alive because I did.

Go go IAL Tea Leaf bags!! Saved my boys life, he's swimming and resting now instead of pointing up and falling to the bottom of the tank.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #4 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
??? :(

Turns out the pH levels in my tank were too high for Carnage and I was loosing him. I asked a breeder since I had NO comments here and thankfully he's alive because I did.

Go go IAL Tea Leaf bags!! Saved my boys life, he's swimming and resting now instead of pointing up and falling to the bottom of the tank.
thank you, thats some good info. i guess doing water tests on the shipping water alone would be useful before adding in the new tank water. how much is too far apart in PH levels?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Did you acclimate him to your water or did you just dump him in?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #6 
Neil D

Either way here's a "spiel" about acclimation:

When you first get mr betta, float the bag in the tank.
Then after maybe 10 min, pour a small amount of tank water into the bag. Leave him for 5 min.
If he's reacting ok, put a bit more water in. If the bag fills up, pour some of the water into the sink/buckets/pants/anywhere BUT THE TANK.
Continue for 20-30 min.
Then release mr betta. If he's from somewhere else in the country (far away)
Decrease the amount of water you put in the bag, and increase the amount of time it's in there. This should allow him to adapt at a slower, more comfy rate.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #7 
Nippyfish

I had a betta shipped in the winter time once. The water was so cold when he arrived I thought he couldn't possibly survive. He was lethargic and pale. After a few hours and a very slow acclimation he perked right up.
Nippyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Betta was slowly exposed to the light for 30 mins, left in bag/tank for temp for over an hour and it took me 1h8m to make sure my water was going into his slowly, and making sure mine was all that was left at the end. He also spent the day in a warm room/tank with no sound, tank wrapped with paper for security.

I did small doses of my water, removing small doses of his. Took me a while but I'm not going to dump a fish in unknown water when he cost me 1/3 of a pay check. But thanks for the info! I do my research, I just didn't know how they act after shipping or how long it takes for them to bounce back to normal from 'jetlag' so to say. Keep in mind I picked him up at 6am, and my kids were up at 8am so I had lots of time to wait lol He's my Heart Betta.

My water has a pH of 7.8. A little high but I'd rather constant pH being higher than fluctuating pH while trying to lower it. The IAL did the trick, so I'll be buying some to keep in my tanks. It's good to have anyways, but it was what Carnage needed!

Carnage is doing amazing tonight, sleeping a lot but he does come out to see me and he even ate 4-5 pellets. He refused 2 small bloodworms first, smart fish.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 06-30-2011 at 10:12 PM.