Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #1 
apollo01

Dont know whats wrong with my little guy...

I got Jack a couple of days ago and he has been doing pretty well adjusting. I did a water change tonight when I got home from work and slowly got Jack settled back into his tank. Unfortunatly he saw a pic of a betta on his pellet jar and freaked out. He had a temper tantrum for about 5 minutes and now he wont eat and seems to be sleeping a lot. He is hanging out at the top of the tank, just floating around. Is he simply stressed from the water change and then from the territorial showdown? Or is something more serious going on? Other than what Ive mentioned, he looks fine... I'm just worried about him. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
apollo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:34 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Is he capable of swimming down to the bottom if he wants to or is more like he can't? And is he breathing okay, not heavy or anything? If he can and he just doesn't, then I'd say he's stressed and probably pouting a little, maybe even a little tired from his big flare-up. Keep an eye on him, make sure the temperature is right, and if he doesn't perk up or gets even more lethargic, post again. You can also always show him a mirror for a few minutes in the morning. Seeing a "rival" may get him more energetic.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #3 
apollo01

Yea he swam to the bottom occasionally and I tried to feed him, but eventually just turned off his light and let him rest. This morning he is great swimming around normally and he is begging for food. Looks much better.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #4 
DarkMoon17

Can you fill out the sticky at the top of the disease section?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo01 View Post
Yea he swam to the bottom occasionally and I tried to feed him, but eventually just turned off his light and let him rest. This morning he is great swimming around normally and he is begging for food. Looks much better.
I'm glad to hear that. He must have just been pouting or tired from his exercise.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #6 
fishman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo01 View Post
He was probably justed stressed from the excitement like Sakura8 said.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #7 
apollo01

So if he was stressed from the water change... what can I do to minimize that in the future? Will he maybe just get used to it, or should I expect this every time?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Hide his pellet jar, for one thing. He's pretty sharp to get all riled up by just a picture. See if he behaves any differently if he doesn't throw a flare tantrum at every water change. He should be better.