Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #1 
bettaluv

If history will repeat itself, my betta has 1-2 days left to live :(!

Introduction:
Hi there! I'll start off by saying I'm obviously new here. I had wanted a betta to take with me to college, and a fish that is content in a small space was what I was after.

The problem:
There is some white fuzz that has begun to grow around the head and a tad on his tail. I do not know how to take a good picture of fish, so this is all I have: http://i.imgur.com/6DZpz.jpg you can still see the white somewhat.

My first betta died from this white fuzz, or so I believe. I thought it was the chemicals that came with the tank, so I bought a name brand (TopFin), cleaned the tank, retreated the water, waited a day, and got a new one. Whatever affected the first has managed to stay in the tank and take hold of the second! I was not fortunate enough to have found this site during that misadventure.

I don't know what to do, I don't want every betta I own to die :<

Setup:
1.7 gal tank
Filter, but I don't turn it on (it seems a bit too strong for the betta's liking)
No heater yet, but the temps are around 75F. (He's plenty active; I plan on getting a little disc heater when I go off to college)
TopFin Water Conditioner (says 5ml for 5gal, I put 2ml in)
Aqueon betta food (been feeding him 6 pellets / day)

Money for meds isn't really a problem, I just need to know what to do and how to do it asap. I still have the container he came in, I'm thinking of treating some water and throwing him in it real quick.

(P.S. to those who have made the extremely detailed betta guides: thanks! These have helped a ton)
bettaluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #2 
elijahfeathers

Hello there! White fuzz is usual a fungal infection, from what I can gather. This little treatment tidbit it taken from DarkMoon17's thread, as I don't know off hand how you're supposed to treat it;

"Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible)."

Those are obviously some meds listed-- however please keep in mind that aquarium salt is NOT the same as regular table salt. You will have to buy some at the pet store.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 
JKfish

Can you tell us how often you clean the tank and what precentage you clean? IMO, it could be something that is simply caused by improper water maintenance, and as such might be cureable with just super clean warm water and a good diet.

To get a better picture of your betta, set your camera on the Macro lense. it'll be the little flower button. Have a light above the tank to keep it illuminated, and turn off the flash on your camera. Put the camera as close to the glass as possible, and try to get a few photos. This could take a while to get crisp ones, but the good ones should be plenty good enough to clearly see what's up.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #4 
elijahfeathers

It could be water-change related, but if the last betta died of it in like two days.... *shrugs* Isn't that stuff pretty contagious? The tank might not have been rinsed/cleaned out well enough.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #5 
bettaluv

The timeline:
June 22: Bought the tank, fish, and food
June 23: Transferred the betta into the new tank
June 25: Betta is eating less and looks different
June 26: Betta's entire head is more or less engulfed in the white fuzz
June 27: Betta died
June 28: Remove betta, clean out tank, refill tank and re-treat water
June 29: Got new betta
June 30: Betta shows same beginning symptom as the last one

I haven't even had time to perform a weekly change because neither has gone even half a week before catching ill.

The blue circle is where I noticed the whiteness starting to appear (his head and body are naturally almost 100% black)
http://i.imgur.com/kUMSO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bdeos.jpg

I'll continue trying to get better pictures. I need to make some sort of mcgyver tripod..

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #6 
Creat

I would suggest getting an anti-fungal medication and some aquarium salt as stated also ammonia test kit would help. And start medicating him also start changing the water more frequently. But I agree with JKfish it might be water quality related.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #7 
youlovegnats

I'n a 1.7 gal, you need to be doing two-three 50% water changes and one 100% change once a week. Doing 100% change once a week isn't enough in that small of a tank.
It seems like whatever the last betta had was still in the tank while you cleaned it. I'd completely clean down everything in his tank and use hot water and vinegar to KILL KILL KILL whatever it was...
Also, 6 pellets a day is a bit much... A bettas stomach is the size of their eye- so 2-3 pellets a day is plenty.
And as Creat suggested, get some aquarium salt and some anti-fungal stuff.

Good luck!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #8 
bettaluv

Ok! Need some more advice now.

My local petsmart had both Maracyn I & II and many other fungal treatments. I chose a liquid-based one because it is much easier for me to measure out for this small of a tank (where as Maracyn and others are powder form). If recommended (I don't know how fast I should see improvements in his health) I can go get Maracyn anyway, not sure if I should combine these meds or not though.

I need some advice about water changing during treatment. Should I be changing the water in the middle of the treatment? I can probably do a 100% change every 2 days, because for one: it takes 36 hours just to get the aquarium salt level to where it should be, does it not?

The anti-fungal says "Add 5ml / 10 gal. Dose daily for 1 week, then do a 25% water change. Treatment can be continued if necessary" which makes me wonder if I'm not supposed to change the water before then...

Also I'm wondering if I should transfer the betta to the little cup it came in for treatment while "nuking" the tank to make sure no more fungal resides inside, or should the anti-fungal kill what's in the tank as well?

I've already removed the filter pre-emptively because apparently it can filter out the meds.

Thanks again for the advice so far.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #9 
elijahfeathers

Alright, while you're treating you should do 100% water changes every day. It helps to get a gallon jug and rinse it out really well (like a milk jug) and pre-mix the meds. The aqua salt doesn't need to sit that long-- you just need to make sure it's fully dissolved. it takes some stirring or shaking with the cap on, but that's only about five minutes of work.

As for mixing meds, unless you know what you're doing, I'd be careful. Meds can react with eachother, so if you have the one and the aqua salt I'd go for that since I've seen lots of people say they're safe to treat with together. When you start giving him the meds, make sure to change out the old water for the treated water slowly at first-- if you're using salt adding the salted water all at once can be a huge shock. (I've done it before and had fish get very colorless and listless, like they would if you did a regular water change a bit badly). That's just my two cents tho.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #10 
DarkMoon17

What medication did you buy? My suggestions will be based on what med you got...
Do you have Aquarium Salt or can you buy it soon?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote