Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #1 
Rynasaurus

RJ's Bloated

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? Don't know, but I have a heater in there.
Does your tank have a filter? Yup.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Nope.
Is your tank heated? Yup.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Just him.

Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets, twice a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.

RJ, a betta which I got in September, I noticed seemed bloated when I got back from a week vacation yesterday. My neighbor was feeding him while I was gone. She said that she fed him once a day, 4 pellets, and I feed him 2, twice a day. I'm guessing that makes a difference. How could he be bloated, though? Don't some people feed their fish 3 pellets twice a day? Also, how can I fix his bloated tummy? I fasted him today. Also, I fast him once a week on Sundays.
Rynasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your boy.
I suppose the feeding routine change could have affected him. What brand do you feed him?

To help him recover use 1tsp/gal Epsom Salt (not Aquarium Salt-you can find it at your local pharmacy).

You might want to pick up a thermometer when you get the chance, it's important to know the temp.

Good luck with him :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #3 
Rynasaurus

Thanks! I feed him Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits. And I see that lots of people suggest epsom salt..but why? What does it do to the fish?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #4 
BetterBetta

Epsom salt helps de-stress the fish and reduce bloating. I consider it as a chicken noodle soup for bettas :D
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #5 
fishman12

Epsom Salt is very good for healing. I suggest you fast and use 1 tsp/gallon of Epsom salt.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #6 
masshiimarro

aww poor guy, hes probably not used to eating so much at a time. eating like that is like having us eat breakfast lunch and dinner together all in one sitting.. 0_0
if you ever leave his feeding in other's care i suggest having them feed slightly less, but in one feeding. as in, normally he gets 2 pellets a time twice a day, but when you have someone else feed him let them feed 3 pellets, but once. thats what i do, so far nothings gone wrong.

dont know much about adding salt to this situation, but i would fast him a few days, or go on light light meals, aka 1 pellet..
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

Epsom salt is a laxative, which is why we use it for these situations. RJ ate too much so his digestive system is backed up and pressing up against his swim ladder, which in turn makes it difficult for him to control his swimming. By using Epsom, you are helping him clear out his system so he can use his swim bladder properly again!

Personally, I don't like fasting them because IMO that slows down their metabolism and therefore they digest things more slowly.... I prefer feeding less, for RJ 1 pellet twice per day will due. OR you can feed him frozen daphnia which is high in fiber and great for clearing out their digestive system.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #8 
Rynasaurus

Thanks everyone for the help! I've reduced his feeding to two pellets a day, one in the morning and one at night, so I'm hoping that'll get rid of his bloat. Does anyone know how long it takes to go away? And I don't have epsom salt. But I did call a PetsMart and they recommended that I buy Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Betta Fix. I looked it up and I don't see anything about it fixing bloating..should I try it anyway?
Old 07-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

No, don't use Bettafix. One, it doesn't treat bloat (or anything else for that matter), and two, it can actually harm your betta. You can get Epsom salt for $2-3 at your local pharmacy or Walmart. It is a much safer and much more effective option. Depending on the severity, he could recover in just half a day with Epsom Salt treatment or it could take a few days. If he is left untreated he could get permanent damage so it is best to treat him soon if possible. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #10 
Rynasaurus

Okay, I took your guys' advice and gave him Epsom Salt about 5 minutes ago. I gave him 8 tsp, because I don't fill up his tank all the way to the 10 gallons. He's not really doing much now. He was sitting at the bottom in this corner that he's always in (this worries me) and so I put the net in and swirled it around and he swam up to the top really quickly and is just sitting there now, swimming against the glass occasionally. He's really worrying me because his stomach is huge..

Is this his poop? http://i54.tinypic.com/fbf2ol.jpg The brown thing there. Wasn't sure what it was. I hope it is..

And here's a pic of RJ and his bloated tummy. http://i52.tinypic.com/104lxd4.jpg

Update: RJ's sitting in the corner of the tank, on the ground. D: