Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #11 
bettaluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
What medication did you buy? My suggestions will be based on what med you got...
Do you have Aquarium Salt or can you buy it soon?
Hi. I got API's Pimafix Anti-fungal remedy. I got aquarium salt as well (also from API). I changed the water in the tank, retreated, and added both aq salt and the Pimafix.

After around 5 hours (while mostly waiting for the water temp to come down) I began the process of moving the betta back into the large tank (let the cup float for an hour and a half, then added some tank water every 10 minutes for another hour or so).

After 2 hours in the tank he seemed to struggle to come back to the surface for air, so I grabbed him back in the cup (using 100% new tank water). The water in the cup is about 2-3 inches, which he seems to be liking a lot more (he's coming up to the surface a lot), but I may lower it further if I notice any more difficulties.

New picture, from when he was sitting at the bottom of the normal tank: http://i.imgur.com/hhocj.jpg

After this (assuming the poor guy survives the night) I'm not sure if I should just try to treat him in the cup, or try the regular tank again.
bettaluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #12 
DarkMoon17

So sorry for the delay, I was traveling...

It is much easier on him and you to treat them in the QT than in the tank so that was a good move.

Is he still alive? He appears to be bloated. Are his scales raised (like a pinecone)? I'm not sure I see any fungus?

Definitely add 3tsp/gal Epsom Salt asap to treat the bloat.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #13 
bettaluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
So sorry for the delay, I was traveling...

It is much easier on him and you to treat them in the QT than in the tank so that was a good move.

Is he still alive? He appears to be bloated. Are his scales raised (like a pinecone)? I'm not sure I see any fungus?

Definitely add 3tsp/gal Epsom Salt asap to treat the bloat.
Unfortunately, no he did not last the night. His scales didn't appear raised, but you don't believe that white stuff growing on him was fungus?

At any rate, I'm looking into making sure I totally eliminate whatever was in the tank. Is following the advice on this page a good idea? I've tossed everything else in the tank out. Gravel, ornaments.

I'm also curious as to how I should clean the filter. If bleach is the right way to go, should I also cycle bleach through the filter and replace the cartridges?
bettaluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #14 
DarkMoon17

I'm so sorry :(

It isn't that I don't think it was a fungus, it's that I couldn't see anything in the picture... If you saw white fluffy stuff on his head then it was likely a fungus or columnaris...

Since there is the possibility that he had columnaris, you should rinse the entire tank with 10-20% bleach. Throwing away the filter cartridges and running the filter through bleach like you said should clean it.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote