Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 AM   #1 
bahamut285

Female Betta: Suddenly, eggs

Um...ok this is probably a really dumb question but Lin's been a little chubby for the past few days. Just now she started doing that pose that females do when they mate with a male (she's by herself) and then eggs suddenly came flying out of her, probably a good 30 or so. As they were flying around the tank she ate almost all of them O_O

Is this...NORMAL?! I think she may have been exposed to some male hormones because she was in a split tank with Lelouch for two days but....WHAT?
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #2 
Ashleigh

Oh wow, never heard of that before... O.o yummy babies?
Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:04 AM   #3 
Tisia

I've heard of some females building bubble nests to put their eggs into and then tending them for a while before finally eating them, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 AM   #4 
bahamut285

LOL No there was no bubble nest, it was like...her period or something ROFL SORRY XD
Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Anju did just that a few hours ago. I happened to look over and eggs were going everywhere and yup, she ate 'em all. I went to get my camera and by the time I got back they were gone. And she wasn't interested in her bedtime snack after that. Lin may have been put "in the mood" by her brief contact with Lelouch. And some females are eggier than others just by nature.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Females make eggs all their life and will either drop and eat them or leave them on the bottom of the tank and some just absorb them......this is normal and nothing to worry about.....if you see a change in their feces or poop...don't be alarmed....often the fecal matter (poop) will look creamy whitish gel like in appearance after they eat or absorb their eggs......eggs are a great high protein/energy meal.......

I had a female that would wedge herself between items in the tank to drop/express her eggs...kinda funny to watch...lol.....and its not unheard of for a female to make a nest and tend to her unfertile eggs either...some females are more broody than others......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #7 
bahamut285

@Sakura and OFL: Oh that's a relief to hear that it is normal for them to do that! Case closed I guess, whew @_____@