Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2010, 01:42 AM   #1 
lucyinthesky

betta fish eating other fish

Would it be possible for a betta to eat a neon tetra?
if so, would the betta regurgitate anything, or digest everything?
lucyinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, bettas can and do eat neon tetras. They digest it just like any other food.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #3 
bloo97

Ouch, i'm imagining that.
Some lady at Petsmart said they could live together!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Well it all depends on the betta. But like drama said, they can and do eat them if they feel like it.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

It also depends on the size of the fish involved. A little betta could not eat a tetra but a big betta would have no problem. Even if they can't physically fit the tetra into their mouths they may torture it to death.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-in the proper set up with healthy fish...the betta and neon can coexist without issues, if the tank is too small or the neon is weak or sick the betta can kill it, but in the proper size tank and healthy neons....no way can a betta catch them and kill them.
Neons are fairly large fish and I don't think even a king betta mouth would be big enough to swallow a grown neon tetra, I have kept neon and betta together for years and have never lost one from a betta killing it.
I feed my betta guppy fry and once the fry get to 3 weeks old they are too big and fast for the male betta to catch and swallow, the female can still catch them and tear them up until about 5 weeks.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #7 
puddin

I think it depends on you betta's personality. I have a gorgeous sky blue CT that is very happy with 6 male guppies in my 10 gallon. My other betta has a more aggressive personality so he is on his own in a 3 gallon.
puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #8 
lucyinthesky

my betta - mr splashy - is completely non agressive - even swims away from himself if you put a mirror near him.
yet during a water replacement yesterday i mystereously lost a tetra.
i deffinately didnt 'loose' him anway.

I keep my fish at work, and so the only way to clean the tank is to put the fish into a holding container - because they were all getting on so well in the tank i naively put them all into the same container - i realise now it would have been too small, even though it was only for 10 minutes or so.

After putting all the fish back into the tank, i did a count and realised I was one short. there is no other explination for it other than mr splashy swalowing it whole

:(
Old 04-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Or the fish in question jumped out at one point....what size tank are you using and why do you remove the fish for water changes?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:56 AM   #10 
lucyinthesky

its a 15 litre tank and i have to take them out because my tank is at work. i leave the fish at my desk in the container, and clean / remove more water in the bathrooms at work. its a health and safety issue at work.

anyhoo- i found the fish (alive!)

somehow, and i have no idea how on earth this happened...
i have a biorb tank, and the filter / air pump is all in the one unit, which can be removed / replaced all at once without disturbing the fish.. it has carbon peices in the bottom of the cartridge and sponge filter material in the top half, and then the tube where the air flows up into the tank.

i put the filter / bubble tube into the tank first, then put all the fish into the tank.
then turned the bubbles on.
anyway... last night when leaving work, i turned the bubbles off so i could feed them all.. and i saw the fish was stuck inside the filter / bubble area.. trapped between the plastic and the foam underneath.... no idea how it got there,
but i managed to get him out safe and he swam off fine! joined the other group.