Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #1 
Amac997

new here, with a question!

Hello everyone, I just joined the forum, but I've read over many of your posts before I bought my new betta about 4 months ago.

I have a male crowntail betta in a 2.5 gallon tank with an ivory mystery snail. He is very active, happy and healthy. Beautiful fish! (black body with blood red and bright blue fins) There were also two ghosts shrimp in the tank with him at one time, but they mysteriously disappeared after I went away for the weekend... ..

Anyway! My question. I bought a female betta last night at Petsmart. I also have another 2.5 gallon tank that has completely cycled and I placed her in there with a black mystery snail (who has been in the tank for quite some time). This morning I noticed that she has a small white cyst-looking thing between her pectoral fins, just in front of her ventral fin. It almost looks like a tiny egg. I don't know if this white thing was there when I bought her. Is this Ich? I'm not very familiar with fish anatomy and I'm not sure if this is normal. If it's not normal, what do I need to do about it?

Thanks for your time and hello again!
Amac997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #2 
mHeinitz57

generally thats a good sign that she is ready with eggs and can be bred soon. Does her belly look fairly rounded?
mHeinitz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #3 
nvmyluv420

first welcome to the forum :D !

bettas are notorious for tearing apart ghost shrimp! i learned this through experience and the forum confermed it lol.

the white spot on your betta on the other hand, how big is it? i always jump to the conclusion of ich anytime i see white on my fish. it could be and injury that has got infected, or it could be growth. when my betta goes through growth spurts his tips get white then the color spreads into it.

look under emergencies and disease there is a post about ich with pictures. if you truely think thats whats going on you should deffinetly post something there.
nvmyluv420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #4 
Amac997

Her belly is somewhat rounded. If I don't breed her with the male, will that have negative effects on her health?

I would like to breed them, but I don't think either of my tanks are conducive to breeding betta. The male's tank is an acryllic 2.5 gallon hexagon tank with a UGF. It has some planted kyoto grass and a nice volcanic rock. I had the male in a smaller "betta" tank until the 2.5g was completely cycled. The male used to make bubble nests around some fake plants in the smaller tank (which had no filtration). In the 2.5 gallon tank, he does not make bubble nests. I'm not sure if it's because of the water flow from the UGF pump?

The female is in a glass 2.5 gallon rectangular tank. This tank has a small in-tank filter, a round air stone underneath the substrate, a some kyoto grass and a fern. The in-tank filter produces very little current.

If I do choose to breed them, should I buy a seperate breeding tank? Or just use one of the tanks I have already? I think I need to read up on breeding before I go through with it! What do you do with all of the fry once they're full grown? Sell them?
Amac997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #5 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

The 'white spot' on behind her anal fins is nothing to fear-it is called an egg spot, and shows when female bettas are in the mood to breed, to keep it simple. It shows when the female is producing eggs, which is why her belly appears rounded, she is making little fishy eggs :)
Quote:
If I do choose to breed them, should I buy a seperate breeding tank?
Yes, you should, IMO. Some people have had success with tanks as small as that, but I personally prefer 5-10 gallon tanks, as with smaller tanks the fry must be transfered to a grow out tank pretty soon when they are very young, and it is not very good for them. If you want to know more about breeding betta fish, there is a lot of good info on this forum, and a website you should check out is http://bettysplendens.com, she used to breed a lot of bettas and sell them but now she is pregnant >.< GAh! I loved her bettas -______-
Quote:
What do you do with all of the fry once they're full grown? Sell them?
You can give them away or sell them to friends, and sometimes a small family owned LFS will take them in for free or for store credit. Just know that you will not likely make a profit by selling betta fish, unless they are very nice breeder stock but even then it would be a really close cut. Just have fun, though, and enjoy you bettas and the possible fry!
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #6 
Tisia

this thread is almost 4 years old
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #7 
masshiimarro

welcome to the forum! :)

an egg spot is just ONE spot on her belly in the middle of her 2 pectoral fins.

mmm... imo, breeding is pretty complicated. you REALLY have to know your fish's personality, and with unexperienced people it can end with injury or death of either fish. not to say your unexperienced, since i dont know, but just as a warning............. and also the fry, are you fine with culling? a lot of things to consider..

females can be eggy and fine. if you are really concerned about her health becuase of the eggs in her, do not let the male in her sight. put her tank somewhere else so she doesnt try to get ready for breeding. but, ive known females that have always looked eggy with no consequences to their health.

but anyways, goodluck! hope to see some pics!
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #8 
masshiimarro

ugh i just typed up all that stuff,... and it was a thread for 4 YEARS AGO.. -___-;;
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #9 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Yeah me too, and what a waste.... RAWR.....-__- This thread showed up as new on the new post section....
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #10 
fishman12

Yes please do not post on old threads
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote