Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #1 
namelessfish

new betta, some concerns (ammonia burns?)

hey everyone. so my question may be silly, but im kind of a newbie so i'm going to ask anyway :P

backstory:
so yesterday i walked into the petshop. i already had 4 bettas so i didnt want to buy another one, just wanted to look around. the lady asked me if i was looking for any particular color, i asked if she had any green bettas... she went behind the counter, took out a greenish one, i said he was cute and she PUT THE BETTA IN THE BAG. i seriously wasn't planning on buying him, but once i saw the cutie in the bag, i just couldnt say no :P

SO:
when i put him in his 5 gallon yesterday, i noticed that he had some red dots all over his face, and his gills are pretty red. could this be a product of ammonia poisoning? hes refused to eat since yesterday and whenever i get near his tank he speeds away and hides, i found this kind of unusual since my other 4 were friendly from the start, so maybe this is just his getting-to-know-me personality. his cup yesterday was extremely dirty. could he have ammonia burns of some sort?

sorry that was so long, and thanks for the help to whoever reads this!
namelessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #2 
CyerRyn

Ammonia burns is a possibilty. His attitude could be from adjusting to a new place especially if he's recovering from what you suspect. Maybe some pictures would help others be able to identify if its actually ammonia burns. I just want a picture to see how cute he is.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #3 
youlovegnats

Hhhmmmm...Probably not ammonia burns...but it's a possibility. It just might either be his coloring & cuz he's in a new/ unfamiliar place. Pics please!!!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #4 
namelessfish

thanks guys! here are some pics, let me know what you think (if hes actually burnt or if im totally overreacting :P)

Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

He's really cute! The red splotches look like coloration to me, perfectly normal. If you are concerned then just keep up with your water changes and you can add Stress Coat as the conditioner. Good luck with him :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #6 
namelessfish

ok that is definitely a relief :P sounds good, i use stress coat with all my fishies, its fantastic. thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #7 
youlovegnats

That's def. just his coloring. My HMPK has those same red splotches all over his head and face. :3
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #8 
namelessfish

*phew* thats a relief. look at me jumping to crazy conclusions lol. he's perked up since this morning, has been swimming around a bit and doesn't seem as petrified of me anymore. still no eating though, we'll see how tomorrow goes. thanks guys!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

I agree with the others, it looks like his coloring.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, burns, green, poisoning, red