Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #1 
newfiedragon

Unhappy Concerned...fish is clamped and listless, with possible finrot

I got a new fish on Monday and Monday evening he was fine. Tuesday he started clamping his fins and just floating at the surface of the water. He swims around a bit every now and again, but he's not overly active. His fins are a bit ripped up, which is where I'm thinking possible finrot. Earlier today I came home to find him in his hide gasping! He is eating. I'm just really concerned about him!

At the lfs, he was kept in one of those triple betta monstrosities where there's a betta in each tiny wedge. He was in the middle, with a betta on each side. He was flaring lots right before I bought him. Could it be stress? Both from the store and from being moved into a newer/bigger tank?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5g (supposedly...seems more like a 2g, but it might be the decorations taking up all that space, even though I don't have much in there)
What temperature is your tank? Around 76 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes, with a pre-set heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets, frozen or freeze dried blood worms once a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, 4 pellets.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Brand new tank...n/a
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Did a 50% change yesterday, adding aquarium salt to the water.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Aqua Plus, Nutrafin Cycle

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Haven't tested...water change yesterday

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Clamped fins, torn fins possibly getting worse (finrot?).
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Complete listlessness, floating on top of water, occasional energy spurts
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Tuesday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt (1tsp/gallon for 2g tank), Bettafix (1/4 tsp/gallon for 2g tank). I know Bettafix doesn't have great reviews, but it's all I have at the moment. That's why I didn't give a full dose.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? New fish
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, but he's really small
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Good that you made a water change yesterday...I would make another 50% water only change and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank and stop with the cycle product...its pointless anyway since you don't have a filter to establish the nitrogen cycle......

Is he eating all food offered

How did you acclimate him to the new tank on day one

Other that being lethargic with clamped fins any other signs/symptoms

Can you post a pic

It is best to use a full dose of the OTC medication or none at all...otherwise you can create resistant pathogens as a general rule, however, I wouldn't use it along with the salt....

Do you have water pram number to post and if so, what type of product are you using....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #3 
newfiedragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Good that you made a water change yesterday...I would make another 50% water only change and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank and stop with the cycle product...its pointless anyway since you don't have a filter to establish the nitrogen cycle......

Is he eating all food offered

How did you acclimate him to the new tank on day one

Other that being lethargic with clamped fins any other signs/symptoms

Can you post a pic

It is best to use a full dose of the OTC medication or none at all...otherwise you can create resistant pathogens as a general rule, however, I wouldn't use it along with the salt....

Do you have water pram number to post and if so, what type of product are you using....
Thanks for replying, OFL!

I have been dosing the dechlorinator for the full volume (2.5g) that the tank is supposed to be. Don't want to take a chance on being wrong on the size of the tank at all for that additive. Are you able to overdose with too much dechlorinator?

He's eating all the food I've offered to him, and quite quickly and happily. He did have a bit of confusion with the thawed bloodworms I gave him yesterday, but he ate some and I removed the rest. Early this afternoon he ate 4 mini-pellets, and he's really tiny, so I'm feeding him the smallest pellets I can find in the container of food.

On day one, I set up his tank, left it for a bit, and then floated his bag for about an hour. After that, I scooped him out with a net and put him in the tank.

When he's at the bottom of the tank, he seems to breathe a bit faster. He doesn't seem to have any trouble getting to the top to breathe, though. He just zips up, grabs some air, and zips down again. He was at the bottom of his tank for most of my supper break, and just before I left he moved to the top of the tank again and stayed there. He does have fin damage, but it's hard to say whether it's fin rot or not because his fins are a clear colour with some black, so it's hard to tell if the tips of his fins are black from fin rot or if it's just his natural colouring. The damage might be from flaring too much at the lfs.

I posted some pics from Tuesday night in another thread titled "Clamped? Or is this just the way he sleeps?", or something similar to that that's in the 'betta fish diseases and emergencies' section. To compare with what he looked like on Monday night, you'll find some pics from then in the 'betta pictures' section under the title "My hubby's gonna kill me..." (and yes, he is gonna kill me, he still doesn't know about this fish). I think that thread is probably on page 3 by now. I took some pics today, but haven't had a chance to put them online yet.

I wasn't sure whether I should mix the bettafix and the salt together, and that's why I didn't give him the full dosage of the bettafix. It's best just to go with the aquarium salt, then?

When you say water pram number, do you mean the water parameters? I've got the tests for ph, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Which ones should I use? I can't test the water just yet since I'm not home, but I'll post it later. I'm not quite sure, but I do think that all the test kits are by API. I know the ammonia and ph are.

Last edited by newfiedragon; 06-30-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I will hunt the pic down later.....

It sounds like he is still in the adjustment period and good that he is eating well for you....some of what you are seeing may also be related to water chemistry changes and some take more time than others to get over.....

In the future with new fish-be sure and acclimate to both temp and chemistry by adding small amounts of the tank water to the holding container with the pet shop water over a period of time...usually 20-30min this also equalizes the temp....you can float the container in the tank or not...this way if there is any difference in pH, hardness, temp and in mature, cycled tanks- nitrate..... they can adjust slowly since a big pH or nitrate change can be deadly and weaken the immune response.......good that you scooped him out and didn't add any of the pet shop water to the tank....

Often, fresh dechlorinated water and water changes are the best treatments to start with when the fish is not too symptomatic....minor fin issues generally respond well to just frequent water changes, time and good nutrition.....

The only chemical additive being the dechlorinator and it is hard to overdose with dechlorinator too, unless it is the kind that has aloe vera- since it can bind with the gill lamellae making gas exchange harder.......using a whole bottle of dechlorinator in a small tank could cause problems but adding 3-4 times more than directed shouldn't be problematic...

When I say water prams....what I am asking for are numbers/results on-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH.....be sure and test your source water on occasion too...just good information to know......
Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #5 
newfiedragon

The ph level (API test kit) in his tank is 7.6 (or higher...that's the highest # it goes to).
Ammonia (API test kit) is 0 ppm.
Nitrate (Nutrafin test kit) is 0.0 mg/L.
Can't find the colour chart or instructions for my nitrite test kit, so don't have that # right now.

He gets curious and swims to investigate when something happens in his tank. Currently he's floating at the surface. Most of the pics I got from today were of him swimming.

Here's some pics from Monday night...

Here's some pics from Tuesday night...

And some pics from today...

Old 06-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #6 
newfiedragon

Is it bad to use Bettafix with salt? Or just unnecessary? Will it hurt my fish any?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Beautiful Betta......be sure and pop the bubbles on the walls with a clean hand or a net...rarely do they cause problems but they can....why risk it....lol....anyway....I wouldn't use the Bettafix......if anything I would use salt 1tsp/gal....he may just need time....he looks more stressed to me....50% daily water changes with tannin stained water IAL or oak...with or without the salt for 10 days max......
Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #8 
newfiedragon

I don't have any IAL or oak, I don't even know if any of the stores here sell that. And I can't call anywhere today cause it's a holiday and everything's closed. I'll have to check with the store where I bought him (but I doubt they will). Is there anything I could substitute?

I just did a water change and added salt, and I took the dinosaur out of his tank. I discovered while doing the water change that there's paint chipping off him, and he reeks to high heaven of chemicals! Maybe that's why he's not doing well. Stupid walmart ornament! It was in the fish section, though, so you'd THINK it'd be okay. But I had that ornament in with another fish, and that fish never showed any signs of illness. He was pretty healthy to begin with, though (got him from a local breeder). And the ornament wasn't in with him very long, didn't match the rest of the decor.

So instead of 50%, it became a 100% water change.

Uther is beautiful, thanks for saying so! Even my hubby (who now knows about Uther and is NOT going to kill me, it seems..lol) said that he was really cool looking. I'll be absolutely devastated if anything happens to the little guy.

Last edited by newfiedragon; 07-01-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #9 
newfiedragon

He seems to be having difficulty swimming today (I'm guessing cause his fins are so clamped), and he's staying near the top. I just fed him, and he ate one pellet, but because he's having trouble swimming, he doesn't seem able to maneuver very well to get any more.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

My initial thought when I read your post was pH shock...signs/symptoms generally shows up within 12-24h after they are placed in the new water when not properly acclimated to the water chemistry....sadly, they usually continue to decline and no treatment....if the fish was healthy to start sometimes they recover...good luck and I sure hope I am wrong......

If it was me....I would change him over to Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, dim lights, quiet, no stress, no filter...since you don't have IAL or oak leaf...decaf green tea will work in a pinch....1-tea bag/gal........good luck and keep us posted....