Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #1 
tlyons01

Am I doing the right thing?

I am hoping that someone might be able to let me know if I am treating my 3 bettas for the right disease. I have 3 lil guys so I will list each separately and will load pics of each.

Blue Halfmoon, I have had him for a week. He was royal blue when I got him. I have noticed a red streak on each side of his gill. I am not sure yet if it is supposed to be that way. He has white edging on his ventral fins that was not there before. I did a single dose of Melafix in his 2.5 gal tank. Yesterday I decided to start him off with 100% water change. Only filled his tank with 1 gal, started treatment with Maracyn 2. Today, I completed a 0% water change with day 2 dose of same meds. When I completed the 100% change, I removed all decor and only replaced the heater, cleaned and wiped the tank. Today his face looks paler and he is darting around more against the glass. The white has either receded or fallen off as there is not as much as yesterday. Water temp is 76-78, ammonia reading 0 and PH is 7.6. Water changed with partially aged water and conditioned with Topfin water conditioner, same goes with the other 2.

Red Veil tail, have had this guy for 2 weeks now. He was a very happy guy, until I moved him, or more switched his tanks with the 3rd fish. The switch was because I knew the 3rd one was sick after I removed him from his store holding cell. He apparently contracted fin rot. He became lethargic and very unhappy, loss of appetite and color. In began to think something was wrong with the tank. Did 100% water change with aged water. Next afternoon, I actually thought he was dead as he had his head down in the glass rocks and didn't move for at least 3-4 hours. When later my son must have woke him up, I got the Maracyn 2 and immediately 100% water change and day 1 of med. He was better within a few hours and has improved since. He is now on day 3 of meds. Today I gave 50% water change with dose of meds. His fins have become white at the edge of his ventrals and there was noticeable tearing and curling on his caudal. Today I noticed pinholes in his fins.

The last guy was sick from the start. Water was so blue from LPS that I did not even know what color he was then, to compare to now. He is almost translucent. He was lethargic from the start, I am sure that I stressed him out with multiple moves. He has fin rot, but I also think maybe septicimia? I have treateed him the same as listed above for Red betta. I am sure he also almost died on me, but now seems very social, there is some color, and he is eating. He also got 50% water change today along with day 3 of Maracyn 2. His Caudal fins have streaking in them that seem to change color, sometime it looks grey. I did see red when I started. There is also a thin red line along the bottom to tail and up on his body. I can't really say that it is going away with the treatment, though it seems lighter.His fins had a red dot in one spot at the tip and looked frayed a bit when we started treatment.

Any one have any tips? Am I doing the right things? Any idea about the color of my yellowish/greyish guy? Any advice would be appreciated. Water parameters are the same for all tanks, and water temp is kept around 78 F.
Attached Images

tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

I actually don't think any of your fish are seriously ill, they all look healthy to me!!
I think the blue guy is definitely healthy. If the red streak you were talking about showed up on his gill cover and not inside his actual gill, its probably just red wash (coloring). The white tips on his ventrals was probably just new growth. I would stop the meds with him, it sounds like they're stressing him out more than anything.
It sounds like the red one was suffering from stress/shock from being moved to a new tank. You could go ahead and continue the meds if you want to, but I'm not sure that he really needs it. The pinholes/tears can be from excess flaring, or rubbings against any decor.
The lighter one also looks fine to me. The red line from his tail up his body is just a vein, you can see it on all lighter colored fish. He may stay that pale color all his life or he may color up eventually. Either way, I think he's healthy. The lethargy is probably from being moved so many times and from the transition from the pet store to your home.
Unless your fish are showing obvioius signs of illness (not eating, losing weight, white fuzz, gasping, scratching against things in their tank, wounds, swelling, etc), you probably don't have to medicate them so much. Just let them be, they're probably still getting used to their new homes, they'll settle in eventually. If you have any more concerns, let us know and we'll try to help you with them! All of your bettas are really beautiful, I especially like that blue HM!! You picked out some pretty boys!!

Hopefully someone else can give their opinion, but they all look pretty healthy to me!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #3 
Luimeril

just give them all clean, warm water. Melafix is harmful to bettas, i've heard, and can damage their labyrinth organ.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #4 
tlyons01

Thank you both for replying to my concerns. I have spent many many hours in the last week searching the web and probably over diagnosed my boys with all the scary information I found. It is so nice to get someone's opinion on them. I am glad to read that there may be nothing major wrong here. As I said on the description above, 2 of them were very lethargic and new to me and I do not want to lose them.. Unless of natural causes! I actually did more research on the redness of my HM gills, and came to the same conclusion. I have since added about 1/2 gallon good clean conditioned water to his tank. I was not aware that new growth would show white. I am happy about that though, because 2 of them have that, the other might but its so hard to tell. Do you not think that the red guy (Fred) or the pale one have fin rot? Or is it just not severe enough for meds? I thought that I would keep those 2 on the meds, but I will not be home to give them the 5th days med until that night, and I think I would be happier not over medicating them. Since I did 50% water change today, I will change their water tomorrow morning as to not get them stressed out again. Thanks again for your words of wisdom and encouragement, it truly is good to get feedback.

PS. What is your opinion on divided tanks? I have them housed separately, since I thought that if they flared at each other all the time they would tire out and weaken (read that somewhere). I have the 2.5 gal that has dividers sold separately but have not decided yet. Also, whats your opinion on tank sizes and filters? I tried airstones with all 3 but none of them seemed to like the movement much being in their small homes. Thanks again!!!!
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

Awww its no problem, we all get worried about our little fishies sometimes!!!
I don't think that the red veil tail has any finrot, he looks good to me!! It looks like he has a little crown-tail in him, which would cause the extended ray branching that sometimes looks like little tears. The pale gold delta has a few tears in his tail, but I don't see any fin rot. Fin rot makes the edges of the fins turn black. Just keeping the water clean should help keep any finrot at bay, if you want to you can add some aquarium salt to help him heal his tail. Use about 1 tsp per gallon, but don't use it while you're using any medications.

I think divided tanks are great! But I wouldn't divide anything smaller than a 5 gallon tank. Bettas do best in about 2.5 gallons of water or more. Your one gallon set ups will be fine for now as long as you change the water every other day. If you decide to divide a tank, you can get dividers that the bettas can't see through, or you can put lots of plants along the divider so they don't see eachother very much. Bettas don't like alot of current in their water, so a strong filter or air stone isn't required. However, filters do cut down on the waste in the tank, so you can install one if you want to, but you may have to baffle it if its too strong for your betta. Minibow makes a great 2.5 gallon tank with a very gentle filter, I have two of those myself!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, emergency, sick