Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #1 
CrowntailTwitchy57

Exclamation bloated or normal?

my crowntail's belly right below his head looks very round, is this normal, or am i overfeeding him?
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #2 
HarlequinBBRM

It sounds lke he may be bloated. A picture would be help to see if this is the case, or if he may just be gaining some weight. If you are still unsure (or can't get a pic), fast him for 2-3 days and see if you can see any poo in his tank or if he starts to look normal.

Last edited by HarlequinBBRM; 06-30-2011 at 10:44 PM.
HarlequinBBRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #3 
CyerRyn

If it looks like he swallowed a marble, he's either bloated or overfed. As the poster above me said, a picture is much more helpful if you can get one. My crowntail gets fat easily I feed him 3 pellets a day (2 in morning one in evening) as opposed to my other boys that don't have this problem and all my fishies get fasted one day out of each week to prevent bloat. If he is bloated try fasting him for 3 days and see how he looks. My crowntail if I fasted him 24/hrs seemed to show improvement which is why I just cut his food down. Sometimes its also what your feeding them as their staple diet. I was using BettaMin Pellets and those were too big and too much.. HBH Betta Bites work for me.. some other more experienced Betta keepers might have better suggestions.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #4 
CrowntailTwitchy57

well i can't get a pic at this moment, but yes, it does sort of look like he ate a marble, I will fast him for 2 days. but he is pooing normally i think... i have other fish in the tank so i can't be certain but i'm pretty sure
Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #5 
CrowntailTwitchy57

ok, I Googled 'bloated betta' and he looks exactly like that, he is bloated. do i fast him? what do i do?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #6 
CyerRyn

I would definitely try fasting him see if that works. Some people suggest pea's but I read about it being extremely harmful. There are other methods but I can't recall what they are atm.. perhaps someone more knowledgeable will post about them.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #7 
CrowntailTwitchy57

I put him in a plastic cup when I fed the other fish today, and the little sucker found a leftover piece of food and gobbled it up before I could stop him! THAT'S his problem! : D
Old 07-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #8 
CrowntailTwitchy57

I will TRY to fast him...
Old 07-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #9 
CyerRyn

LMAO.. yah if my crowntail Bloo was in a community tank.. I'm sure he'd be the fattest one in there.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #10 
HarlequinBBRM

If after fasting, he is still bloated, quarantine him in a tank with epsom salts 1 tsp/gallon for a few days. The epsom salt will act as a sort of laxative, and he will hopefully start to look normal. Puting him in a bare bottom tank will help with monitoring his waste, so you can see if he is actually pooping. Hope he gets better!
HarlequinBBRM is offline   Reply With Quote