Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #1 
bettaloverforever16

Sparky's Sick?

This is much better kept Betta for awhile (I recently changed my ways) I was just staring at him like a TV last night, and I suddenly noticed a tiny hole in his top fin (Can't Remember the name of that fin) He's active and healthy as usual. I just can't think what could be wrong except Fin Rot, but it's not black around the edges of that small hole.

I would take a pic, but he always goes back to his hiding place when I try to take a pic of it. And my camera stinks.

If anyone could help it would be great, thanks!!
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #2 
Punki

My male sometimes gets a small pinhole on his fin if he gets too excited or flares too long. I just kept the water clean and a few days later it was gone. My female got a lsightly larger one but after a week it was gone also, i didnt even bother with aq salt it was so minor. Just keep his water changes up and he should be fine, if it gets any larger do an aq salt treatment.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #3 
bettaloverforever16

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? I can't tell
Does your tank have a filter? It came with one, but it took up so much space I took it out.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet in the morning, twice at night

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Whenever my dad can help me, whoch is about every two weeks. (I'm working right now on learning how to clean the tank myself so I can change it sooner, and more often)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He got a tiny hole in his top fin.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't changed at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year and a half

Old 07-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #4 
bettaloverforever16

Thanks Punki!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

Pin holes can be a sign of fin rot, or just a tear. I am a bit concerned by a few things though. In a 1.5 gal tank you should be performing at least on 50% and one 100% water change per week. He very well could have the start of fin rot. If it is fin rot, then try to stop it in its tracks by performing two 100% water changes per week. If you see the hole expand or black edges then add 1tsp/gal Aquarium salt and continue performing the 100% water changes.

Also, bettas are tropical and do best at temps between 78*F and 82*F. A heater and thermometer would be important purchases when possible.

Good luck and keep us posted :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #6 
bettaloverforever16

Thanks for the advice, gonig to clean his tank tonight for sure, and start doing once a week. My dad is never able to help me, so I'll learn how myself. But the tank is so small, I thought heaters were too big for those small of tanks?
Old 07-10-2011, 03:16 AM   #7 
DarkMoon17

Sorry for the delay, there are heaters for smaller tanks, though they are more expensive ($20-30). Heaters are least expensive for tanks in the 5-15gal range. Since larger tanks require fewer water changes it would be best to upgrade his tank and get him a heater but if you keep up on the water changes then a heater for the 1.5gal would due. I understand that money is tight for just about everyone so just do what you can for him :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #8 
ShadowWolf

I recently had a fish that died, and the first sign of his sickness was tattered fins. Although I don't think that there is anything wrong with your betta if it only has one hole, but keep an eye on him.
I have a 25 gallon fish tank and 1 of my really long finned guppies has a hole in its fin, its had it for almost a year now.
ShadowWolf is offline   Reply With Quote