Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #1 
coet

Betta Diet Question

So, I have a picky betta on my hands, I think. I got Berry last Friday, and the following Sunday he greedily gobbled up around 5 pellets before refusing them. He didn't eat anymore that day. Monday he tried to eat his pellets, but when he did he bobbed his head up and down and spat them out. He didn't eat any more pellets that day, and I thought it was because he hurt his throat. The next day he didn't try for pellets at all. Yesterday (Wednesday) he tried to eat the pellets, but it looked like his mouth was too small or something. He just kept spitting them out. Now, today, he barely takes the pellet in his mouth before he spits it out and swims away, almost like he's disgusted.

Well, yesterday, he started eating the freeze-dried blood worms, and today he ate three like the world was going to end. I didn't want to give him more than three. I gave him one this morning and two about an hour ago.

I'm wondering what the best diet would be for a betta who refuses to eat pellets. I can't really do anything frozen since I am going to college soon and I won't have a freezer, and I know freeze-dried blood worms are really high in protein, and I don't want to worry about him being constipated. Any ideas?
coet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #2 
youlovegnats

Actually freeze-dried blood worms have like...no protein. All the nutrients have been sucked out of 'em! :O
I reccomend the frozen stuff. Are you moving into a dorm? If so, do you have a shared floor kitchen that you could possibly use? Or if you have a roommate, maybe he/she will have a freezer/fridge that you can use?

In the meantime though, buy some frozen blood worms and just keep it until you move. I'm a college kid too ;)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #3 
youlovegnats

Also! Maybe while feeding him the frozen blood worms, you could try to sneak in a few pellets and see if he doesn't eat those?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #4 
coet

Well, there is a fridge in the kitchenette thing, but I didn't think frozen food should be refrigerated. Wouldn't that make it all mushy?

I tried that. He looked at the pellets and I swear he almost laughed! He's a humorous little creature. He looked at the pellet and then, I swear, stared at the container the blood worms were in.

I'll definitely do the frozen blood worms for now. Are they as messy as frozen brine shrimp?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

You could try New Life Spectrum Growth pellets, they are half the size of normal Betta pellets. I have a boy here who won't eat pellets, they're too big for him.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #6 
coet

Are the smaller than Omega One Buffet Pellets?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #7 
nel3

you could soak the pellets then crush or just spilt them up with a toothpick into smaller peices if it still eat pellets.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
You could try New Life Spectrum Growth pellets, they are half the size of normal Betta pellets. I have a boy here who won't eat pellets, they're too big for him.
I use those & the pellets are TINY!!! Also, every one of my boys gobbles them right down. Must be the garlic in them!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote