Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2011, 01:20 AM   #1 
lunawatsername

odd worm-like things in breeding tank..were also in another tank i set up?

okay, so i wasnt really sure where to put this, because there are no fish in the breeding tank right now, so its not exactly an emergency. but i was gone for about 24 hours, and when i got back i looked in my breeding tank and saw little white things that move like worms, and they are all over the side of the tank. i tried to get a good picture of the, but it was hard because my camera is terrible and theyre so small :

also, their are about 14 marimo moss balls in the tank, and each one is covered in some kind of white stuff, that looks almost fluffy:

and, the bottom of the tank is covered in white and brown stuff, and i know it was nothing i put in there, so im assuming its from the worm things too:

the thing is, im pretty sure ive seen them before. i set up a 20gallon tank about a month ago, and about 2 weeks in i saw the same little white worms on the side. i came on here for that also, but no one could tell me what was wrong, so i put some medication in the tank and hoped for the best. well, it is completely clear of the little worms as far as i can see, but i still have no idea what the things are, and i dont know for sure if that killed them or if it was something else. its kind of freaking me out that they show up in both my tanks for no discernible reason, and i really just want to have some idea as to what they are, why they are there, and what i did to make them come so i can fix it. so ill give you all the info about my tank, in case that would help.

its a 10 gallon, no fish have been in it since i have had it, it has a heater that keeps it around 81 degrees, and the only other things in their are a couple fake plants, a couple terra cotta pots, 2 IALs, and the marimo balls. also, ive had the marimo balls for a couple weeks now and they had nothing on them before they went into that tank, neither did anything else. any help you can give me would be highly appreciated, because im kind of freaking out about this right now....

Last edited by lunawatsername; 07-01-2011 at 01:23 AM.
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #2 
lunawatsername

well, ive since read up on some thing called planaria (sp?) worms, so im pretty sure thats it. only problem is, ive heard tehy are dangerous to eggs, and they are in my betta breeding tank. also, i have no idea how they are so plentiful when they are in a tank that gets no food or anything, and they covered the plants in white stuff, and that didnt happen in the 20gallon. any ideas?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:11 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Planaria can come in on new plants sometimes, even if you can't see them (planaria eggs). If you used equipment in the 10g and then in the 20g, that could have transferred them where they had a population boom. Do you have any breeding going on in the 20g right now? Best thing to do is immediate water change with gravel vac and suck up as many worms as possible. You may have to repeat this several more times. Probably rinse the 10g in warm water if you can.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:20 AM   #4 
lunawatsername

oh ok. thanks! no there is no breeding in the 20g, so im not so worried about that one. it is actually empty right now, so its all good. (well, other thank the ridiculous amount of snails it is lol) i understand them being in the 20 gallon, because i cycled it using fish food (which i will never do again, the mess is unbelievable...) so i get that, but their is nothing for them to eat in the 10 gallon, unless they eat the plants? anyway, thanks for the advice, i actually just got out my gravel vac, so i guess im on the right track :) thank you!
Old 07-01-2011, 03:29 AM   #5 
Sakura8

You're welcome. I'm glad you don't have any fry to worry about right now, that would definitely make things complicated. I hope you're able to get rid of them!
Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 AM   #6 
lunawatsername

thank you!me too, i was actually considering putting my male in their before i left for a day, so glad i didnt now! even if they wouldnt have hurt him, i would have had a heart attack when i got home! lol
Old 07-01-2011, 03:38 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Sad thing is not many fish eat planaria or you could just dump a few guppies in and let them get fat. But I'm glad you avoided a heart attack. lol
Old 07-01-2011, 03:42 AM   #8 
lunawatsername

really? i read that any fish would eat it. or at least thats what they made it sound like... good to know thats wrong lol i wouldnt get guppys anyway though, never been my thing. im betta crazed xDD and id feel so bad getting them, spoiling them, then giving them back to the pet store lol xDD
Old 07-01-2011, 03:56 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Sigh, if any fish would eat it they wouldn't be a problem. But maybe I'm wrong. I hope so, knowing there WERE fish out there who would eat them would make it easier to deal with them.

I love bettas because they bond so well with humans. Schooling fish are cute or fun but they just don't "gel" with me as much. They have each other, they only need me for food. ^_^
Old 07-01-2011, 04:25 AM   #10 
lunawatsername

exactly! i love the personality of bettas so much! i was just laughing because i was doing a partial water change on a new boys tank, and when the turkey baster scared him instead of running and hiding in his plants, he went into the corner of the tank closest to me, and then tried to stare down the baster, flaring and everything xDDD he reminded me of my dog when shes being protective, the cutest thing!

though, i have never had any other fish (except for poorly cared for goldfish when i was about 7 :/) so i guess i have nothing to compare it to... still, from all ive heard, bettas are better :D

Tags
breeding tank, new tank, unknown diseases, white worms