Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #11 
Sakura8

My Petsmart personally doesn't carry the medicated foods and neither does my Petco but small aquarium stores do. :/ Hrm. Skip that, just go with Maracyn. It's good for dropsy which is what he has if he's bloated. If I remember what I've learned from DarkMoon, then if you don't actually see the parasites, it's bacterial. That's what I was told when I rescued a betta with severe dropsy. So, IF you perchance find the medicated pellets, get the bacterial ones. Otherwise, Maracyn will work too.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:03 AM   #12 
omgitslph

Looks like I'll have to buy a new 10 gal when the store opens today to start medicating. :(
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #13 
elijahfeathers

Can I ask why you'd need a new ten gallon for meds?
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Nope, you can medicate him in his little QT container. DarkMoon also gave me tips on that too. Get a big container, something you can put five cups of dechlorinated water in. Add in the medication and shake/mix well. Use 1/2 cup of this mixture per gallon of his QT container. So maybe if he's not in a gallon QT, get a gallon bowl or something? Save the mixture for water changes.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #15 
elijahfeathers

For meds I just take an old milk jug (1 gallon) and premix in that, since most meds can be mixed into a gallon/figured if it's for 10 that way. Then you can save it. It works wonders if you're QTing in a cup. You mix the meds in the really clean milk jug, and you just pour into the QT cup, and it's good for a couple days/water changes.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #16 
omgitslph

I'm always so paranoid and ocd about dosing that I'd have to put him in a 10 gallon or I'd be convinced he'd die. Putting epsom salt even freaked me out. (im such a baby, i know)

DarkMoon's idea doesn't sound too bad for me. Do I do the double treatment for the first day like the Maracyn packets say?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #17 
Sakura8

Uhm . . . how did I do this? Yes. I think so, yes. But if it's easier and you're more comfortable, by all means get a new 10g. Uhm, bit dishonest but you could just use the new 10g to measure out the medication, then clean it well and return it. I haven't actually done that, by the way. ^_^ Hint, if you've got a Petco near you, get your 10g there, they are having a dollar per gallon sale so the tank will only cost $10.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #18 
omgitslph

ahaha well petco has their $1 for 1 gal sale so it wont be too bad for one. Idk. If that way works I can try it, but I want to do it right so he doesn't die. He's my baby. :(
Old 07-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #19 
elijahfeathers

:P Or if you get a ten gallon you can always pamper him with a big tank, or divide later and get more fish!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #20 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahfeathers View Post
:P Or if you get a ten gallon you can always pamper him with a big tank, or divide later and get more fish!
elijahfeathers: yes, I like the way you think. omgitslph: use whichever dosing/measuring method you are most comfortable with. I know, they should really work on the dosing instructions instead of making them so generic for a 10g.