Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #1 
Dovetail

I have a orb tank

I got a second hand bioorb 8 gallon tank with and cleaned it with windex and dish soap to sterilize it. I have 2 questions. My fish died not long after I put him in it, so I am not sure if it was stress or previous sickness or if it was the cleaners. How do i clean the tank again to remove all cleaners to use it with next fish? Also is the bubble filtration a good idea or is this bad for bettas?
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

I think that the windex probably did your fish in. What most people suggest is vinegar I think. I am sure someone with more experience will be able to assist you further.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Yup, people use vinigar to clean tanks. Ive never tried it myself though.

I would think scrubbing the tank with hot water would remove the soap and windex left behind??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #4 
Sivan

NEVER use soap or cleaning products in a tank! The chemical residue is invisible to the eye and can poison any aquatic creature that live in it after cleansing. Do what TikiBirds said, with hot water. I would recommend filling the tank with very hot water to sterilize, let it sit until it cools, then empty. Repeat a few times and dry with a paper towel or something that doesn't leave residue. If it smells like soap or windex still then it probably has some left behind.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #5 
Dovetail

Thank you for the input. I won't be getting another betta until I can find one from a reputable breeder as well instead of walmart.
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

I think, if at all possible, that the tank should be returned... Soap and cleaners stay in the porous walls of acrylic (and glass).

Use white vinegar and rinse dang near every day for at least a few weeks. Using hot water will do nearly nothing, especially if only a few times.

Paper towels will permanently scratch acrylic tanks, never use them on your tank if it is.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote