Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Usually when you have cloudy eyes its a sign of poor water quality and high nitrates can do this too....however, your husbandry is fine.....other causes are injury, eye flukes, chlorine burns, nutrition, old age.......not really any treatments except for the eye flukes...with eye flukes usually its the pupil that turns/looks white...except for age-the others resolve on their own with some increased water changes and improved nutrition....since the Betta is otherwise acting and eating like its normal self...I would make a couple of 50% water only changes over the next couple of days for now and observe......I only use natural treatment by supporting the immune response....google eye flukes and see if this fits what you are seeing in your Betta...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Also saw on the web that possible causes are lesions from ich and pH burn.
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=39616
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #13 
kumi

Thank you to both of you! I don't have a pH test--had it tested once at a pet store and it was "fine" at the time, but I don't remember the specific number. I'll retest it--something odd could always have happened to the water. It isn't any worse this morning and might be a bit better.

I looked at the pictures of the eye fluke and it is possible that it is the early stages of that, but it seems strange that it would appear just the same in both eyes. And it's not the pupil. I also found a similar situation with somebody on here from a year or so ago. He didn't post a follow-up, but I have sent him a message to see if he has more information.

An additional oddity has to do with the details of the search engine here and on some other forums--can't search on "eye" because it is too short and/or common! I found the previous post here through google.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #14 
Sakura8

But he seems to be see things all right? I know it's hard to tell with bettas because of their lateral line sense but if he doesn't seem like he's bothered by it, that's good.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #15 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
But he seems to be see things all right? I know it's hard to tell with bettas because of their lateral line sense but if he doesn't seem like he's bothered by it, that's good.
He doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but I thought it might be affecting his ability to see his food this morning--just at a particular angle. When he moved a little, he attacked as usual.

Kumi
Old 07-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Good to hear. Hopefully this is an issue that will either resolve itself on its own or no be a bother to him if he has to deal with it for the rest of his life.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #17 
kumi

Unfortunately, he's doing worse. Yesterday morning, there was a hint of grayness in his belly. I'm following the steps in Dark Moon's posts for dropsy. I moved him to a QT with epsom salt and I'm also treating him with Maracyn Two. I'm gradually turning up the heat and will increase the concentration of ES today from one teaspoon per gallon to 1.5. After I moved him, I also saw that his pectoral fins are ragged. He has not improved today. I will be surprised--and ecstatic--if he makes it, but the very nice thing is that he is not suffering at the moment. He made a very nice bubble nest in his QT yesterday. I'm afraid that part of today's tasks will be to get ready to euthanize him in case it's necessary. I had goldfish years ago and one developed dropsy and I really have no desire to watch Kenpatchi go through that.

Any treatment suggestions are welcome! About the only thing I can think of to do is to switch to a different medicine. I'll give this one another day and then if he's not better, I'll try a different one.

Kumi
Old 07-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #18 
masshiimarro

comrades! my betta has the same thing, in one eye though. no other problems at all. i hope your betta gets better!
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #19 
Sakura8

Kumi, I'm so sorry to hear he's doing worse. It sounds like has developed dropsy on top of the white spot on his eye? I hope he pulls through for you. My thoughts are with you.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #20 
kumi

I've treated Kenpachi with epsom salts and two different antibiotics. I have a reasonable guess as to what is going on. Given that when I tried to find comparable situations all of the threads "dead ended" without saying what the resolution/conclusions were, I wanted to post what I THINK is happening. In Kenpachi's case, the white spots on the eyes are identical. Also, looking from above, you can really tell that they are just on the cornea--they aren't something inside his eye. Because of that, I think they were caused by a build up of pressure. Also, he started to develop dropsy. My guess it that the dropsy has not progressed much because of the epsom salts rather than the antibiotics. I suspect that all of this was caused by organ failure. What caused the organ failure in the first place is unknown. The water parameters were perfect when I tested them, but who knows. I will say that he is from Petsmart, sort of like getting a puppy mill dog.... However, I also don't dismiss the possibility that I introduced something to the water by accident that was toxic. In any case, there are no signs of parasites. When the dropsy seemed to be getting a little worse, I upped the epsom salt to two teaspoons per gallon and that seemed to help. I think he's comparable to a hospital patient on palliative care at the moment. He's still eating well and swimming around, but he's losing his color. As long as he seems comfortable, I'll continue as I am. When he's not eating well or having trouble swimming, I'll euthanize him.

While I am not happy about the situation, I at least don't have that frantic feeling of "if I could only figure out what to do I could save him!" The irony is that I now basically have a betta in a bowl!! I don't want to put him back in his tank because I can't count on it being a stable environment at this point. He has a "betta log" to rest in and I'll pick him up a fabric plant. I feel like I'm taking care of somebody in a rest home!

Kumi