Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #21 
Sakura8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Poor Kenpachi. I wonder if he has a bacterial infection building up in him. Maybe you could try and find Jungle Labs Anti-Bacterial Medicated Pellets. They will help him if he has an infection but they won't hurt him if he doesn't.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #22 
DarkMoon17
Member
 
DarkMoon17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MA and MO
I'm sorry to hear your boy isn't doing well but great job on the fast diagnosis. You definitely bought him some time. In this case it presented just like bacterial dropsy (cloudy eye/pop eye then gray belly) which is basically a kidney infection... It is possible that he got stressed somehow and his immune system was weakened as a result and he got infected. There really is no clear cause for dropsy.

Is he currently on Maracyn II? You can combine that with Jungle's Anti-Parasite Pellets. The Metronidazole in the pellets is best for fighting off the bacteria. I've had a lot of success with the Maracyn II, metronidazole pellets and Epsom combo. You can up the Epsom dose to as much as 3tsp/gal. Try to get him those pellets while he is still willing to eat. Once they stop eating there isn't much that you can do... Good luck.

Sakura, do you know what they active ingredients in the anti-bacterial pellets are? I've never used them before.

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 07-14-2011 at 01:08 AM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #23 
Sakura8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Sodium sulfathiazole and nitrofurazone, so definitely different than the parasite pellets. Anyway, I was hoping you could help clarify something for me, DarkMoon. You often recommend the anti-parasite pellets for cases of bacterial infections instead of the anti-bacteria pellets. Why? Just curious. My logic runs this way: parasites = parasite meds, bacteria = bacteria meds. You can see when it comes to meds I don't think outside the box much. ^_^
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #24 
DarkMoon17
Member
 
DarkMoon17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MA and MO
NP, it is a common cause of confusion! Medications aren't as clear cut as people think. Medications are often affective against multiple things. Most meds that treat bacterial infections also fight funguses and visa versa. Metronidazole (the main ingredient in anti-parasite pellets) is an effective medication for treating Dropsy. It is usually used for killing parasites but for whatever reason it has shown to be really effective against dropsy, which is a bacterial disease. It has to be given orally to be effective which is why Jungle's Anti-Parasite pellets are ideal.

The anti-parasite pellets were actually suggested to me some time back when my goldfish Nori had dropsy, so I looked into it and found that it really does work. Vets even suggest it. Nori is alive and well today and was the first fish I had that survived dropsy. Since then I've found that Maracyn II, Epsom and Metro work really well, especially when you catch it early. I don't know if the Anti-bacterial pellets will work. By all means they should since dropsy is bacterial but even the vets say to use the anti-parasite ones! I'm sorry I don't really know the physiology behind it!

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 07-14-2011 at 01:42 AM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #25 
Sakura8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Thanks, DarkMoon, that definitely helped clarify things. But I thought dropsy is generally considered only a symptom, not an actual disease? (I personally generally consider dropsy to be a pain in the butt)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #26 
kumi
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Is he currently on Maracyn II? You can combine that with Jungle's Anti-Parasite Pellets. The Metronidazole in the pellets is best for fighting off the bacteria. I've had a lot of success with the Maracyn II, metronidazole pellets and Epsom combo. You can up the Epsom dose to as much as 3tsp/gal. Try to get him those pellets while he is still willing to eat. Once they stop eating there isn't much that you can do... Good luck.
I switched from Marcyn II to API General Cure (or something close to that: it's downstairs and I'm upstairs). Really, just cause I thought I might as well try something else. I've looked for the pellets in two stores. Will try a third one tomorrow. Kenpachi thinks he's doing better than I do--he made a very nice bubble nest in his QT again today. I'll up the Epsom salt, too.

Actually, I will look for either of the medicated pellets. Thank you to you both for your suggestions. DarkMoon, I've been following the directions you wrote up. SO much faster than a stressed out search through old threads. Thank you for doing that.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #27 
Sakura8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
That is the problem I've found with those pellets, is that they are hard to find. Neither my Petco or Petsmart carry them. :/ But if you CAN find them, they'll help.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #28 
DarkMoon17
Member
 
DarkMoon17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MA and MO
I'm glad the treatment guide was helpful! I think all the Petsmarts around me carry the pellets... If you can't find them, you can call your local veterinarian. Explain your problem and they should be willing to sell you 1 or 2 Metronidazole tablets. The main ingredient in API General Cure is Metro which is good but it is most effective when taken orally (fresh water fish don't drink water like salt water fish do). If you can get oral Metro (the pellets or tablets from the vet) that would be best but API General Cure should still do something. If he is building bubble nests then he must be feeling a bit better. That's very good. Is he pineconned at all?

Sakura- Well it's definitely a pain in the butt! It's #1 on my hate list lol. Dropsy (pineconning) is the result of fluid build up. The fluid build up is a result of a Kidney infection. Cats and dogs (and people) get kidney infections too but they just pee inappropriately and feel awful until you take them to the vet. Since fish live in water, the kidneys are important for controlling fluid volumes in the body. When the kidneys don't work right the fish cannot regulate its fluids properly and they build up and put pressure on the other organs resulting in pineconning (dropsy). So, dropsy (pineconning) is a symptom; it means that the fish has a bacterial kidney infection. Epsom relieves the swelling by helping fish release water, then the anti-biotic fights the kidney infection. The only problem is that most meds only work when the kidney infection/dropsy is spotted early since usually organ damage is not reversible. Baytril injections have proved to be really affective as well but you would need a vet for that...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #29 
Sakura8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
DarkMoon - thanks for the explanation. So dropsy is basically a fish sign of what would be advanced UTI in mammals if I'm understanding this right, or in other words when the fluid build-up in the UT has backed up into the kidneys. (my mother has type 1 diabetes and a kidney transplant, so her kidney is hooked up directly to her bladder and UTI are common for her)

Kumi - I'm so glad he seems to feel better and is bubblenesting again. That's great news! Yay!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #30 
DarkMoon17
Member
 
DarkMoon17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MA and MO
I'm sorry to hear that about your mom but ya, it's basically an advanced UTI that has attacked the kidneys. And they can be really stubborn... At least mammals don't have to worry about fluid build up, it just sucks in general.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Single pair of white spots on Bettas eyes ACHVOY Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 4 12-19-2010 08:09 PM
Spots over eyes Sizzlingtree Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 7 06-06-2010 02:26 PM
White bubbles on eyes, what could it be? Hankbetta Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 3 05-08-2010 10:39 PM
White spots, white tiped fins, and jumping fish? loveDelphine21 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 8 06-18-2009 09:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.