Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #1 
Betta Slave

Any Ideas On How I Could Make This?

Yeah, yeah, I'm a fangirl. -.- But it would be SO COOL in an aquarium.

I've been thinking about it. I'd need pink sand, obviously, and the plastic plant carpets for the top- but how the heck would I shape this without it falling apart? D: Any ideas?
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #2 
rainbowmissy

Legos, maybe? :P
rainbowmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #3 
sflemin2

Check this thread out. Its for a turtle basking area but I think you could still use the info! http://www.redearslider.com/forum/vi...lit=spray+foam
sflemin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

Rainbowmissy, that's a really good idea- but I'm set on having this made out of sand. lol :P

And thanks for the link, sflemin2! Lots of great ideas on there.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #5 
laughing

I think making the shape with some sort of wire, then put styrofoam into the shape (it can be cut and molded into nearly anything) and seal it tight, then use aquarium silicone sealant and cover the whole thing in it and coat it with the pink sand. Silicone is sticky, and if you put sand on it directly as soon as you put the AQ silicone onto the styrofoam, it will stick.

Then you should find something to anchor it down with. Styrofoam floats! Perhaps the bottom you should put a wire mesh at the bottom (before putting the styrofoam and everything on it) and put some weights that are non-toxic in it? That way there's some weight on the bottom to help hold it down in the water?

If I come up with any other ideas I will repost. Hope this helps for now, though. Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #6 
Betta Slave

Thank you! :) I'm quite excited about this now. I think I'll buy some heavy aquarium rocks and put them in there.

I'll keep you updated :) Won't start for a week or so, I think, but I'm definitely going to pursue this.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #7 
RobertTheFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
Thank you! :) I'm quite excited about this now. I think I'll buy some heavy aquarium rocks and put them in there.
I think one big, heavy rock would be a great base for you to mold your thing onto. It will need weight at the bottom, otherwise physics will be working against you.
RobertTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #8 
Betta Slave

That's what I'm planning on doing, actually. I'll go to Big Al's in the next few days and pick one out.

I'm sorry- this is probably a naive question- but to seal the wire and stuff so it doesn't rust, what would I use?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #9 
sflemin2

I think it would be awesome if you did a build thread! I can't wait to see it when you are done!! Waiting for it to dry is going to be the hardest part lol
sflemin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #10 
Creat

I use expanding foam for my aquariums if I want to build something. Great Stuff if my favorite and once dry doesnt leach anything into the waterand you can carve it and paint it ... lol
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote