Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #1 
Bettasaurus

Something is wrong with my fish :(

Lately my betta fish has not been acting right. I used to feed him a combination of pellets and flakes, alternating every day or so. But I recently noticed that he no longer eats the pellets. He puts them in his mouth then spits them right out. I fed him flakes today and he ate some of them. I guess that is a good sign.

However, he has gotten very very skinny and pale. He used to be bright red but now he's almost a pale reddish-pink. I cleaned out his tank today (which was a bit overdue) so that may help him get better. I'm really worried about my poor fish :(

Do you think he may be sick? How can I get him to eat more? Is there anything else I can do to help him get better?

P.S. I've had my fish for almost 2 years so its possible that he may be dying of old age. Still I really want to see him healthy and happy again!
Bettasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Can you fill out the sticky?
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
The info you provide will help us know more about your guy and how to help him.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #3 
Bettasaurus

Housing
What size is your tank? half gallon
What temperature is your tank? it was quite warm in my room so I moved it to the family room...maybe in the high 70s
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? combination of pellets and flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? daily or every 2 days

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 3 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1 pint
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Gotte paler and much thinner
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sits at the bottom all day, won't eat
When did you start noticing the symptoms? over the course of a week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? almost 2 years
Old 07-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettasaurus View Post
Housing
What size is your tank? half gallon
What temperature is your tank? it was quite warm in my room so I moved it to the family room...maybe in the high 70s
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? combination of pellets and flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? daily or every 2 days

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 3 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1 pint
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Gotte paler and much thinner
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sits at the bottom all day, won't eat
When did you start noticing the symptoms? over the course of a week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? almost 2 years
Only a pint of water changed every 3 weeks?!?!!! I think that might be your problem! In a tank that little, he probably needs his 100% of his water changed every other day at the very least. In cleaner water, I expect that he'll perk up alot! It's great that you give him a varied diet, I'm sure he loves that! That's odd that he's stopped eating the pellets. He may start eating normally again when you up his water changes. If he doesn't, you could try getting a different brand of pellets, or feeding him frozen/live food. Or you could just feed him the flakes and supplement his diet with freeze dried bloodworms. His loss of color and general lethargy are probably due to both old age and poor water quality, but if he starts showing any other symptoms (white poo, fuzz of any kind, white specks, lumps, swelling, etc) let us know and we'll help you figure it out! I hope your little guy gets to feeling better, good luck with him!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #5 
Bettasaurus

I know, I get behind on the water changes :(((
I changed ALL of the water yesterday but now he is not eating at all. It really worries me.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #6 
Marie84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettasaurus View Post
I know, I get behind on the water changes :(((
I changed ALL of the water yesterday but now he is not eating at all. It really worries me.
Yeah, I have my two men (Raz and Blue, Raspberry and Blueberry) in a 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon respectively, and I do a 100% water change every day to every other day. Basically, the tank is so small that the good, beneficial bacteria you normally see in an aquarium can't really get a foothold to begin growing.

Is he acting strangely at all aside from not eating? (constantly down at the bottom of the tank or up at the top of the tank, etc.)
Marie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Even though you changed all the water, it might take him quite a while to get his appetite back. Keep trying but remove the food after a few minutes if he's not interested.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote