Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #1 
nacho

Needing advice for fishless plants

Hello,

My Darcy passed away tonight. He left behind a good number of plants. Java ferns that are doing really well, a giant anubias, six moss balls - and I want to keep them all alive. I know that Darcy's wastes were the plants' sole source of nutrients during the past month and a half. Without replacing him, how will I keep the plants alive? I unfortunately left my bottle of liquid fertilizer back in another state. But, if the liquid fertilizer is all I need to keep the plants alive, I am willing to buy a bottle.

Additionally, what should I do with the filter? Should I keep it running so that the bacteria continue to live for a little while longer?

Please help me figure out what I need to do to keep the plants alive for at least another month and a half without fish.

Thank you so much for your help.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss.....

Since plants are living...they will hold the cycle...keep your filter running, lights on 10-12h/day and either use plant food or flake fish food to feed the plants weekly...be sure and make a 50% water change before you feed the plants to remove any plant food that was not used up by the plants so you can limit feeding algae........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #3 
nacho

Thank you OFL, for your help and advice! I'll feed my plants some flake food and hope they're still happy :)
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote