Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2011, 01:35 AM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Unending war with brown algae.

Alright so, a few months back, maybe two now, I got my first live plants for my tank. It got 2 marimo balls and an anubias. Turnign on the lights for them led to an algae outbreak, some ugly brown stuff that coated the walls and plants and EVERYTHING. It's sliney and it wipes off plants with gentle rubbing.

I got water wisteria mostly to help combat it. Instead, it grows on the wisteria. Most every water change I spend a good 5-15 mins rubbing it off leaves of my plants, riensing, and stuff before i replant them. Recently there was a little on the wall of the tank. I wiped it off. And it's ALL OVER. It's growing in films on all corners of the tank. How do I nuke this stuff? It's unsightly and I'm so sick of it. It's even starting to grow on my marimo balls!

Last edited by elijahfeathers; 07-02-2011 at 01:53 AM.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #2 
bettafish15

It happened to me when my tank was cycling, however I did not have live plants. It goes away. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:54 AM   #3 
elijahfeathers

Well I added pics now, does it look the same as yours does? Last time it got this bad I had to totally break down the tank twice. The first time only... spread it around terribly. I had to run all my gravel under hot hot water wand scrub everything down with a steaming cloth to get mostly rid of it. >>
Old 07-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #4 
bettafish15

Yep, it does. Don't bother cleaning everything harshly, all you can do is normal cleaning routines and rub the plants. Maybe lesson your light times a bit while the tank cycles with the plants ^^ It DOES go away. Also, the stuff is called Diatoms, it isnt an algae.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #5 
elijahfeathers

What's the best course of action for what's in the tank? Rubbing it seems to only spread it around. >> And how long does it usually take to go away?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #6 
bettafish15

Eh, I dont know how long it was for me. About a couple weeks. Hopefully the live plants will actually speed things up before the diatoms block out all their light. I didn't have live plants in the tank :/

Also, maybe rub it off only during water changes so that you can use the siphon to scoop it up when it comes off with rubbing?