15g of ultra-fine spirulina powder
4oz of private blend fry starter meal
2oz Decapped brine shrimp eggs

-or-

9g artificial Plankton and Rotifers
15g of aulta-fine spirulina poweder
4oz of decapped brine shrimp eggs
7 piquettes

Which would be better? I only plan one spawn if that, but I can't find anything smaller. We plan on buying 1/2lbs of Brine Shrimp Eggs for everyday feeding as well and have a culture of microworms.

Thanks!

Last edited by Pitluvs; 07-02-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Wow...a half pound of brine shrimp eggs...that would last me about 10 years or more...lol....and I feed thousands of fry each year.......and growing BBS to adult stage can be hard and expensive to boot and they aren't that great for adult Betta food...plus the eggs can go bad if not properly stored......

I feed my Betta fry.......they get microorganism or infusoria that my setups create for the first week or two... since I use a more natural method to spawn- my tanks make lots of natural foods for free range feeding....... and then I add newly hatched BBS with the yolk sac intact since this is when they hold the most nutrition for the fry...I feed this for the first 2 months-more or less- along with HUFA supplemented BBS once the BBS absorb their yolk sac-starting in the 2-3 week fry age......I add mosquito larva in the mix when I can harvest tiny larva...this is sometimes seasonal....daphnia I grow year around as do the seed shrimp and this is added to the fry tanks....at one point I cultured/fed white worms but due to the high fat content-I didn't like the way the fry grew out so I stopped using them a couple of years ago......

As for your list of foods-either would be okay for supplement-I wouldn't use them for primary protein source, however, IMO it looks more like food for saltwater species of fish and I have never used any of it=except for the decap BBS that I decap myself and wasn't that impressed...

Its important to have a good varied diet for best fry growth/development along with proper water changes....personally I wouldn't buy either of those...but I also have a lot of good foods that happen naturally both inside my spawning tanks and outside in buckets of tannin stained rainwater.....

The piquettes would be great to have on hand or good eye droppers to target feed...I buy the glass type at the pharmacy...2/2 bucks....

If you are only planning one spawn...I would use/buy a 6g container of dry BBS eggs and set up 2 hatcheries 24 hours a part and feed newly hatched with yolk-sac intact and a microworm or walterworm culture...add lot of live plants and a few common snails to the spawning tank a month or so before you plan to spawn and feed the snail lots of greens like spinach, lettuce...etc....so they will produce lots of microorganisms for the tank for free range fry food......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

Everywhere I go, I have different advice given. Locally, people are not feeding like you do lol Very confusing. I have been given a list, but these things I cannot find here or online.

I will be using the BBS and microworms, it was suggested to me to use the DBBSE from someone local who breeds Betta. The others are just 'extras' I figured would be tossed into the mix, some may like it, some may not.

Yes, 1/2lbs... I can't buy it any smaller in Canada from a Canadian on AQ. I am sure I can find many people in my province to split it with :) I could buy a small vile for $15 locally, or 1/2lbs for $20 online.

If you can find the things you suggest, shipping to Canada that's not an arm load, by all mean please post it :(

I will be looking into the daphnia, just not at the beginning. I also have other types of food to feed before we go with crushed flakes but I have to wait until payday to buy them. I need starter food first. I say one spawn because that's all I plan. But I never know, next year I might decide I was successful and spawn again. Unsure.

And although ideal, not everyone has the ability to do natural. Actually in all the research I have done over the last 2 weeks, you're the first person to mention it :)

Last edited by Pitluvs; 07-02-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Wow...things cost a lot more in your areas....can you get things from Dr Foster and Smith......

Lots and lots of different methods to not only spawn this species but to rear fry that are equally successful and work...its finding what works for you and what you have available to you.....

Lots of myths and old methods still being used/followed today....after years and years of working with this species along with experience- I also conduct experiment on a regular basis having a strong science/medical back ground....just habit I guess...lol.....and have found easier, better methods that can be done by most hobbyist and can often cost less with the same results if not better/improved results...just like the natural method....cheaper, easier, low cost with high percent of success with a small investment (about $20.00US) and time-(about 3 months) and a hobbyist can create a nearly self contained ecosystem that will support life with little intervention (since it is a closed system)...it still needs us a little...lol......and I like to share this with others...its not the only way...just another way......
Old 07-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

Yes, everything is more expensive in Canada, and shipping from USA is slow unless you pay an arm and a leg for faster shipping. Not easy. But on AQ I can only get the 1/2lbs option, 90% hatch rate.

I have seen your posts around the board, you're awesome. Everyone looks for you when they have a question. The amount of times I have read "I don't know, wait for OFL to see this, she'll know".

Anyways, I'm just as lost as I was when I made the post, if not more lost. I'm considering just walking away from breeding a spawn, and I haven't even decided if I want to yet!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Don't give up......its a lot easier than it is made to sound......more than one way to slice bread....laffs......it can be really rewarding spawning this species and rearing your own Bettas from spawn to adult...and it doesn't need to break the bank either......even in Canada..laffs....and $20.00 for half pound of BBS is cheap.......so get it....you can successfully raise Betta fry with just newly hatch BBS......and hatchery can be homemade.....I use a clear plastic half gallon peanut container that I drilled a hole in the lid for the airline hose and stone...no added light or heat-just the pump for aeration......18-24h later harvest newly hatch BBS-siphoned thru brine shrimp net, rinsed-I float the net with the BBS in a container of fresh dechlorinated water and use an eyedropper to target feed.....you can always find a way....it can be confusing and frustrating with all the information.....you have to sift through it and take what you can use...apply it.....and have fun.....thats what its about.......
Old 07-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Nothing with fish has been fun for me yet, just a lot of headach. Story of my life!

I did end up getting 50g of BBSE, no salt added. So I can raise them myself. It was much cheaper than the $20 1/2lb but someone mentioned that a lot of that 1/2lb is actually salt.

I'll pick up some decapped bbse next paycheck, and then start my look AGAIN for whatever else I need. Just seems like when I think I got it, someone puts a fork in it. *sigh*

Oh and that first mix can be used for a list of tropicals, including Betta. Or at least that's what the seller says.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You haven't even started...... don't give up.

As already stated, breeding this species can be as expensive or as cheap as we make it. But we need to find what best works for us. I know variety of food is much much better. But using exclusively one kind is also possible. This is practiced in my area - breeders only use one type of food for a certain period of their development.

A natural set up like OFL is by far the cheapest and easiest (not much work) method. But not everyone can use it..... I know I can't do a totally natural set up - I don't know how she keeps the whole set up clean and balanced . So, again, you need to find what works for you with what is available to you. Anything and everything advised by others may work..... it has for them...... Give it a try and find your own method.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

See I'm not even sure I will raise a spawn. I have a beautiful boy I'd love to breed. HM are very uncommon here unless you buy from a breeder. Our stores only sell VT, the 2 stores we have! But I need to research first, and if it's just not for me, I won't put my boy with my girl. There are plenty of Bettas out there, I could always support my breeders by buying a few hehe

I picked up my BBS for $12, and my microworms are free thanks to a friend. But the rest I am clueless about.

This is just one step, next I gotta figure out what to do about jarring males and talking the hubby into a big enough tank for the females!